Alternate names: Suchowola [Pol], Sukhovola, Суховоля [Rus], Suchavola, סוכאוואליע [Yid], Sukhovolye, Sukhovolia, Sukhovolah. 53°35' N, 23°06' E, 31 miles N of Białystok, 31 miles WSW of Hrodna (Grodno), 20 miles NW of Sokółka. 9 localities in Poland are named 'Suchowola'. Yizkors: Khurbn Sukhovolye; lezikorn fun a yidish shtetl tsvishn Bialystok un Grodne (Mexico, 1947); Sefer Suchowola (Jerusalem, 1957); and Bóżnice Białostocczyzny (Białystok, 1992). 1900 Jewish population: 1,944. This town in NE Poland in Sokółka powiat, located on both banks of the Olszanka river. Its 2002 population was 2,500 in Gmina Stopnica, Busko powiat, Podlaskie Voivodeship since 1999 and previously in Białystok Voivodeship (1975-1998) (1975-1998). The town was founded in 16th century and granted city right in 1777. [July 2009]
http://ettc.uwb.edu.pl/strony/bialystok/unia/sucho.htmlk [December 2005]
MASS GRAVES: The dead collected close to the house of Simcha Levin near the Jewish cemetery (except one, Israel Grodzensky ,who was buried in the center of the Market Square with a sign reading: "A Jew was shot and buried here for resisting German authority") were buried fully clothed in a mass grave. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: . Located in the northern part of the village near the river Olszanka. the cemetery has remnants of stone fences and a single gravestone with no inscription, probably fragments of destroyed graves. photos. photos On November 13, 2008, tolerance and intercultural dialogue workshops for teachers and local leaders took place in Suchowola led by experts from the Holocaust Research Center of the Jagiellonian University and organized by the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland as part of the 'Research on the Attitude Towards Jews and Their Heritage. Cooperation with Local Partners in Selected 15 Towns. Education for Tolerance' program, supported by the Batory Foundation. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE0000139
Alternate Yiddish name: Suchovola. The town is located in region Bialostockie at 53°3523°06, 55 km N of Bialystok. Cemetery: in N part of the town behind Olszanka [on Highway 19]. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 [8,132 in 1993]with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community is beginning of 17th century. 1921 Jewish population was 1,262. The Privilege was given to the Jews in 1698 by King August II. Rabin Abraham Einhorn and Rabin Szlomo Swi Kalir lived here. The unlandmarked Orthodox, Conservative, and Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century with last known burial 1940. The isolated suburban agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The cemetery no fence, wall or gate. The cemetery size before WWII was 2.5 ha. No stones or known mass graves exist. The municipality owns the property used for agriculture. Adjacent property is agricultural. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance, care, or structures.
Tomasz Wisniewski, Bialystok, ul. Berna 95/99, tel. 212-46 completed survey 11/24/1991 and visited site in 1989.
NOTE: In his 1998 book Jewish Bialystok, Wisniewski stated on p. 103 that the 1897 Jewish population was 1,944 out of 3,203. On p. 104, the pre-WWII population was about 1,500 and that cemetery in the forest by the Olszanka River contains only rubble.
|Last Updated on Monday, 13 July 2009 13:48|