Alternate names: Strzyżów [Pol], Strizev [Yid], Schizuv, Strisev, Strishuv, Strizhuv, Strizov. 49°52' N, 21°48' E, 15 miles SW of Rzeszów (Zheshuv). Jewish population: 859 (in 1880), 1,104 (in 1921). Yizkors: The Book of Strzyzow and vicinity (Los Angeles, 1990) and Sefer Strizhuv ve-ha-seviva (Tel Aviv, 1969. Strzyżów poiwat is a unit of territorial administration and local government in Subcarpathian Voivodeship, SE Poland since 1999 with its administrative seat and only town is Strzyżów within Strzyżów gmina, 24 km (15 mi) SW of the regional capital Rzeszów. The 2006 total population is 61,938 with 8,703 in Strzyżów. Besides the town of Strzyżów, Gmina Strzyżów contains the villages and settlements of Bonarówka, Brzeżanka, Dobrzechów, Gbiska, Glinik Charzewski, Glinik Zaborowski, Godowa, Grodzisko, Łętownia, Tropie, Wysoka Strzyżowska, Żarnowa, Zawadka and Żyznów. [July 2009]
ShtetLink. [November 2002]
Three Jewish cemeteries were in Strzyżów.
CEMETERY 1: The 0.5-hectare oldest cemetery, probably from the 16th or 17th century, was located in the immediate area of the synagogue on ul. Przecławczyka was turned into a town square with no sign or marker. Most likely it was set up earlier or at the same time of establishment of the local kahal. Currently owned by the municipality, it is used as a park. [July 2009]
CEMETERY 2: The one established in the 17th century on ul. Daszyńskiego was destroyed and all the tombstones removed. This 1-hectare cemetery, now a gym/sports field, schoolyard, and city hall parking spaces, retains part of the cemetery wall but has no sign or marker. The municipality owns the site. [July 2009]CEMETERY 3: Established in 1850 or 1880s on Żarnowska Góra hillside on ul Wschodnia, this cemetery also was destroyed by the Nazis, its borders holding 100+ recovered gravestones, the oldest of which dates from 1884. Other gravestones were used to pave the market. It the 1990s, an ohel of rabbi and tzadik Alter Horowitz, was restored. The Nissenbaum Family Foundation and Strzyżowa Jewish survivors and their descendants, in the 1990s, cleaned and fenced the cemetery and recovered a few tombstones. Chaim Ben Zwi Henryk Moher created an inventory. The cemetery was 500 sq. meters before and after WWII. The municipality owns the property. A sign at the entrance reads"The cemetery enclosure was built by the Nissenbaum Family Foundation - Warsaw in agreement with Rabbi Samuel Teitelbaum, Rabbi Josef Chaim Frenkel, Rabbi Abraham Frenkel from New York " photos. photos. [July 2009]
Source: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 78
STRZYZOW-OKOPISKO (I): US Commission No. POCE000504
The earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. In the 18th century, the synagogue was built. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in the 16th-17th century. The synagogue is located across the street. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of the cemetery before W.W.II was about 500 square meters and does not exist now. No gravestones are visible. Municipality owns site used as a park. Properties adjacent are residential. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose a smaller area because of the park. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II.
Natascha Rode, 35-213 Rzeszow, ul. Starynskiego 5/29 completed survey in May 1992. Documentation: region Kons. Zabytkow-Rzeszow was consulted to complete the survey. The site was not visited, no interviews, no other doumentation exists.
STRZYKOW-OKOPISKO (II): US Commission No. POCE000505
Cemetery: ul. Daszynskiego. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established 18th-19th century. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a piece of broken fence and no gate. The pre-WWII cemetery was 1,000-sq. meters. No stones or are known mass graves exist. The municipality owns the property used for recreation. Adjacent property is agricultural and residential. A football field reduced the cemetery size. Rarely, local residents stop. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance, care, or structures.
Natascha Rode, 35-213 Rzenow, ul. Starzynskiego 5/29 completed survey in May 1992. Documentation: from the region Kons. Zabythow-Rzeszow. The site was not visited.
STRZYKOW-OKOPISKO III: US Commission No. POCE000506
Cemetery: ul. Wschodnia. [see Strzykow-Okopiskko II for town information]. Established in 1850, the last known burial was during WWII. The isolated rural hillside has no sign or plaque. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a piece of broken masonry wall and no gate. The cemetery was 500 sq. meters before and after WWII. 1-20 stones are visible with none in original location and less than 25% broken. Some [maybe 6] are in the stream by the cemetery. The 19th and 20th century limestone or sandstone rough stones/ boulders or flat-shaped stones have Hebrew inscriptions. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is agricultural. Rarely, local residents and private visitors. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance, care, or structures. Vegetation and weather erosion are a slight threat. Security and vandalism are very serious threats.
Natascha Rode, 35-213 Rzenow, ul. Starzynskiego 5/29 completed survey in May 1992. Documentation: the region Kons. Zabythow-Rzeszow. The site was not visited.
|Last Updated on Monday, 13 July 2009 13:09|