Alternate names: Sterdyń [Pol], Sterdin [Yid], Sterdyń-Osada, Esterdin. 52°35' N, 22°18' E, 29 miles N of Siedlce, 12 miles N of Sokołów Podlaski. 1900 Jewish population: 681. Under German occupation, a Judenrat was established. The Jewish population including refugees reached about 900. All were deported to the Treblinka in October, 1942. Sterdyn is a commune in Sokolow Podlaski powiat, Mazowieckie voivodship. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000583
Alternate Yiddish names: Sterdin and Esterdin. Sterdyn is located in Siedlechie province at 52°34 22°17, 51 km from Siedlce, 21 km from Sokolov Podlaski. The cemetery is located 2 km out of town by the road to Sokolow Podlaski, on the E side of road. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The cemetery is open with no caretaker. 1921 Jewish population was 710. The Jewish cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century with last known burial was during WWII. The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The size today and before WWII was 0.5 hectare. No stones are visible. No known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. No care or structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access.
Cezary Ostas, Siedlce, ul. Pomorska 1/68, tel. 290-95 completed survey on 26 Oct 1992. He visited the site on 26 Oct 1992 and interviewed Marian Jakubik, Wegrow in 20 Oct 1992.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 12 July 2009 12:46|