Alternate names: Stawiszyn [Pol], Stavishin [Yid]. 51°55' N, 18°07' E, 12 miles N of Kalisz. Jewish population: 656 (in 1884). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XI, pp. 300-301: "Stawiszyn" #1. Gmina Stawiszyn is an urban-rural administrative district in Kalisz powiat, Greater Poland Voivodeship in west-central Poland with its seat in the town of Stawiszyn, 18 kilometres (11 mi) north of Kalisz and 98 km (61 mi) south-east of the regional capital Poznań. The gmina 2006 total population was 7,244 with the town at 1,554. Gmina Stawiszyn also contains the villages and settlements of Długa Wieś Druga, Długa Wieś Pierwsza, Długa Wieś Trzecia, Łyczyn, Miedza, Nowy Kiączyn, Ostrówek, Petryki, Piątek Mały, Piątek Mały-Kolonia, Piątek Wielki, Pólko, Stary Kiączyn, Werginki, Wyrów, Zbiersk, Zbiersk-Cukrownia, Zbiersk-Kolonia and Złotniki Małe-Kolonia. Jewish history. Normal 0 Kalisz and others to Koźminku ghetto on February 12, 1940. The majority perished in 1942 at Chelmno nad Nerem. [July 2009]CEMETERY: Located in the village of Stary Kiączyn, thirty-nine traditional matzevot and the wall surrounding the cemetery remain. Rich decoration included plant motifs with Hebrew inscriptions. Today, the cemetery care comes from Friends of 1 Stawiszynskiej teams. Photos. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000778
Stawiszyn is located in the voivodship of Kalisz at 51°57 18°07, 38 km from Konin and 18 km from Kalisz. The cemetery is located at Kioczyn Stary. Present town population is 1,600 with no Jews.
The last known Jewish burial was 1940-1941. Orthodox and Progressive/Reform Jews used the cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign, but has a Star of David on the wall. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all with a broken masonry wall and no gate. The size of the cemetery before W.W.II was 4800 sq, meters, and now 1428 sq. meters. 1-20 gravestones, with some in original location and less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 18th-19th centuries. The removed stones were incorporated into roads (Stawiszyn, Pl. Wolnosci 9, Petrycka Road). The cemetery is not divided into special sections. Some of the marble and sandstone rough stones/boulders and flat stones with carved relief decorations have traces of painting on their surfaces. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Polish. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II, and also about 20 years ago. The regular unpaid caretaker re-erected stones, cleaned stones, and cleared vegetation in June and August of 1991 and May through August of 1992. Within the limits of the cemetery are part of a pre-burial house and two residential buildings. There are no known mass graves. The cemetery is now abandoned property, used for agricultural (crops or animal grazing), industrial or commercial use and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are residential. The property is smaller than in 1939 due to the commercial development and agricultural. Private visitors and local residents rarely visit. There is a very serious vandalism threat, as well as serious threats from weather erosion and pollution. There is also a moderate security incompatible nearby developments (existing and planned) threat. Vegetation is a seasonal problem, preventing access.
Jerzy Widerski, ul. Kaliska 2, 62-920 Stawiszyn completed survey on August 11, 1992 and interviewed Maria Widerska and Jan Ulanski (elderly inhabitants of Stawiszyn) were conducted. No visit to the site; other documentation exists.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 12 July 2009 11:49|