|STARY TARG: Pomorskie|
Alternate names: Stary Targ, Altmark. 53°56' N 19°11' E, 138.5 miles NNW of Warszawa. Literally "Old Market", this village in Sztum powiat, Pomeranian Voivodeship, in northern Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Stary Targ, 9 km (6 mi) E of Sztum and 61 km (38 mi) SE of the regional capital Gdańsk. The village has a population of 1,000. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000758
(Alternate name: Altmark in German) Stary Targ is located in the Elblgy region at 53°5619°11, 56 km SE of Gdansk. The cemetery is located "Polozony na poludriovym skraju wsi-wpolu". Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. Effecting the Jewish community was the Judenedikt of 1812. Orthodox and Progressive/Reform Jews used the unlandmarked Jewish cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign, wall, fence, or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of the cemetery before W.W.II was 0.1 hectares; it is the same size now. No gravestones or known mass graves are visible. A private individual owns site used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Local residents rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance or structures. The cemetery was liquidated and is now a field with crops.
Wiktor Knercer, 10-685, ul. Barcza 33116, tel. 33-86-07 completed survey in Sept. 1992 after a visit in June 1992. Documentation: 1910-1920 Cemetery Map and "Karta cmentarza-PSOZ Elblgg.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 11 July 2009 17:38|