You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland STARGARD SZCZECINSKI: Zachodniopomorskie
STARGARD SZCZECINSKI: Zachodniopomorskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Stargard Szczeciński

Alternate names: Stargard Szczeciński [Pol], Stargard [Ger], Stargardia [Lat], Stargard in Pommern, Stargard an der Ihna, Stôrgard, Starogard. 53°20' N, 15°03' E, 20 miles ESE of Szczecin (Stettin). This city in NW Poland with 71,017 inhabitants in 2005 on the Ina River is the capital of Stargard powiat in the West Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999 and previously in the Szczecin Voivodeship (1975-1998). Stargard is a major railroad junction toward Poznan and  Gdansk. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000434

(Alternate German name: Stargard, Priemhausen.) Stargard Szczecinski is located in the Szczecin region at 53°1415°00, , near Stargard. The cemetery is located on Struga Street in Plac Wolnosci. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.

  • Town:      Dr. Alojzy Kowalczyk, ul. Moniuszki 4/B, 73-110 Stargard, tel. 73-44-40 Stargard /o-92-73-44-40/.
  • Local: mgr. Lidia Walasek, Muzeum, Stargard, 73-110 Stargard; Burmistrz: Waldemar Gil, ul. Staromiejska 1, Stargard.
  • Regional: mgr. Ewa Stanecka, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, ul. Kusnierska 20, Szczecin, tel. 34-804.
  • Interested: the Muzeum Regionalne, Stargard, Rynek Staromiejski 73-110 Stargard.

The earliest known Jewish community in Stargard Szczecinski was 1836. /Kronika/[sic]? 1921 Jewish population was 310 persons. The Jewish cemetery was established circa 1840 with last known Jewish burial in 1935 (1938?). The cemetery area within the surrounding green area is landmarked in the Register of the Conservator of Monuments of the voivodship of Szczecin, protected under the Law on Monuments of 1962. The isolated urban hillside and crown of a hill has no sign, wall, fence or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of the cemetery before W.W.II was 0.3 hectares and is the same size now. No gravestones are visible. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for recreation. Properties adjacent are recreational and residential. Local residents rarely visit it. The cemetery was vandalized prior to W.W.II. Either no maintenance or regular caretaker paid by the government. [sic] There are no structures. There are moderate weather erosion, pollution and vandalism threats. Vegetation is a minor threat.

Dr. Alojzy Kowalczyk, ul. Moniuszki 4/B, 73-110 Stargard, tel. 73-44-40 Stargard, visited cemetery on March 2, 1992 and completed survey on March 21, 1992. Documentation: 1923 Stargard city map and the register of the lots (?) of the town of Stargard of 1992. Persons at the Regional Museum of Stargard were interviewed. Kowalczyk may have more information.

Last Updated on Saturday, 11 July 2009 15:45
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution