You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland SRODA SLASKA: Dolnośląskie
SRODA SLASKA: Dolnośląskie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Środa Śląska [Pol], Neumarkt in Schlesien [Ger], Neumarkt, Sroda. 51°10' N, 16°36' E, 20 miles WNW of Wrocław (Breslau) and 2 km (20 mi) W of the regional capital Wrocław, on the Średzka Woda creek, in Lower Silesia. Jewish population: 130 (in 1845), 47 (in 1925). This town in Lower Silesian Voivodeship in SW Poland is the seat of Środa Śląska powiat and the administrative district called Gmina Środa Śląska. Prior to 1945, it was in Germany. 2006 town population was 8,800. [July 2009]

The first documentation of Jews here is from 1248 when Czech King Charles excused the Jew Muszo from payment of taxes. Larger settlement dates from the first half of 14th century. Anti-Semitism occurred in the 14th and 15th centuries. In 1455, the Jews were expelled until 1770, when Isaac Israel was allowed to settle. Jewish population: 1817-17, 1818-27, 1871-202, and 1925-47 due to immigration. In 1861, the synagogue was built. During Kristallnacht (9-10 November 1938), Nazis destroyed the synagogue and two shops run by Jews. In autumn 1942, four Jews married to Christians remained. July 2009]

CEMETERY: Established in 1844 on Bergstrasse, the current ul. Górnej, the 0.21 hectare cemetery was destroyed by the Nazis. Surviving gravestones removed in the 1960s were used to build school buildings. In July 2001, Jewish survivors and their descendants built a memorial right next to the playground, a stylized matzevot monument inscribed in Hebrew, German and Polish. The unveiling was attended by representatives of local authorities and survivors" Elli Scheyer and Albrecht Wallis.  Photos. July 2009]

 

Last Updated on Thursday, 11 February 2010 10:49
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution