Alternate names: Śrem [Pol], Schrimm [Ger], Szrem. 52°05' N, 17°01' E, 23 miles S of Poznań (Posen). Jewish population: 607 (in 1895). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, pp. 35-44: "Szrem". This town on the Warta river in central Poland, Greater Poland Voivodeship since 1999; from 1975 to 1998 in Poznań Voivodeship with a 1995 population of 29,800. Śrem is 45 km S of Poznań.. The Śrem District has a population of 39,672, of which about 31,000 live in the town of Śrem. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000445
Alternate German name: Schrimm. Srem is located in the Pozranskiw region at 17°01' 52°05', 50 km from Poznania. The cemetery is located about 500 meters from NE outskirts at both sides of road to Poznan. Present population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was in the Middle-Ages. 1921 Conservative and Reform Jewish population was 103 with 26 shortly before WWII. The cemetery was about 500 meters from congregation. The isolated suburban crown of a hill has pre-burial house with inscriptions. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. There are no visible gravestones or known mass graves. The municipality owns property used for a park. Adjacent properties are recreational. The cemetery is visited rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. Authorities clear vegetation occasionally. There are no structures or threats.
\Stawimir Pniewski, 41/4 Prylysiewskiezo, Poznan completed survey in 1991 after a visit. He used a 1940 map and interviewed Barbara Jahns.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 11 July 2009 12:50|