You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland SOMPOLNO: Wielkopolskie
SOMPOLNO: Wielkopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Sompolno Alternate names: Sompolno [Pol], Sompolna, סומפולנו [Yid], Sompol'no, Сомпольно [Rus]. 52°23' N, 18°31' E, 14 miles NNW of Koło, 16 miles NE of Konin, 28 miles SW of Włocławek. 1900 Jewish population: 641.  Dapei ed shel sarid ha-ayara Sompolno (Tel Aviv, 1981) and Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). The town in Konin County, Greater Poland Voivodeship had 3,700 inhabitants in 2004. The Jewish community of Sompolno. Jewish history. Normal 0 The Jewish cemetery north of Sompolnie Ślesina was founded in 1816 and was used to 1942. The Germans vandalized the cemetery, stealing the gravestones to pave the street of Macewy Gimnazjalnej. No gravestones remain. [July 2009] October 2000]

US Commission No. POCE000708

Sompolno is located in Konin voivodship, former district of Koto at 18º30' 52º23', 26 km from Koto and 32 km from Konin. The cemetery is located N, off the road Sompolno-Slesin, westward of the Lutheran cemetery. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mr. Jan Czyzewski, retired history teacher at High School of Sompolno, 63 Warszawska St, Sompolno. (He has no phone.)
  • Local: Mr. J. Dunaj, Mayor of the Commune and Town of Sompolno.

The earliest known Jewish community was mid-19th century. The Jewish population before WWII was 1500 (800 Germans and 1300 Poles). The unlandmarked cemetery was established in the mid-19th century with last Reform Jewish burial before 1942. The urban slope (suburban when in use) is separate but about 150 meters from the Lutheran cemetery. Reached by turning directly off a public road, cemetery was about 1 hectare. No gravestones are visible. Removed stones were moved to another cemetery in Sompolno, Gimnazjalna Street. The stones probably were sandstone. The municipality owns used for single-family housing. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery was vandalized in 1942. There are no threats since the cemetery no longer exists.

Andrzej Nowak, 11 Listopada St., 15/76 Konin, tel. 434356 completed survey in August 1992 after a visit. Literature was used to complete survey. The local government and residents of Sompolno were interviewed for this survey.

Last Updated on Friday, 10 July 2009 15:19
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution