Alternate names: Sochaczew [Pol], Sochatshev, סאכאטשעוו [Yid], Sokhachev, Сохачев [Rus], Sochatchev, Sochoczew. 52°14' N, 20°15' E, 52 km (32 mi) W of Warsaw. 1900 Jewish population: 3,776. Yizkor: Pinkas Sochaczew, (Jerusalem, 1962. Sochaczew powiat is a unit of territorial administration and local government in Masovian Voivodeship, east-central Poland since January 1, 1999 with its administrative seat and only town is Sochaczew. The 2006 total population is 83,318, of which the population of Sochaczew is 37,925. [July 2009]
Jews lived here in the Middle Ages, at least since the prince granted the privilege of residence to the Jews in the first half of 15th century. Sochaczew kahał is first mentioned in 1507 as one of the Jewish communities taxed at the coronation of Sigismund I the Old. In 1793, 997 Jews were up to 86% of the total population, dominating trade and crafts even in the Middle Ages when as early as 1638, they traded beer and honey. At the end of the 19th century, Sochaczew an important centers of Chasidisim In 1883 Rabbi Abraham Bornstein, son-in-law Menachem Morgenstern Kocka and the student of Henocha Aleksandrów, settled here and began a yeshiva. His sons, Samuel and David, also lived here. After the Nazis captured Sochaczew, the Jews were subjected to serious repression. In January 1940, the ghetto held about 2,000 people. Czech Jews were transported to the ghetto in Zyrardow. On February 15 and 16, 1941, they were deported to Warsaw and them the camps. Few survived the Holocaust.
The town is located at 52º14' N 20º14' E, 72 km from Lodz and 54 km from Warszawa. Cemetery: ul. Sierpniowa in region Skierniewickie. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community is 1507. 1931 Jewish population was 3,011. A ritual murder accusation was made in 1556. War with Sweden 1655-1660 effected Jewish community. Zisha Frydman-selcrtar genealry [sic] Agudat Israel lived in this Orthodox, Conservative, and Progressive/Reform community. The Jewish cemetery was established [przy puszgraline w II potoire XV w]. Abraham Bornsztajn (zm. 1910) is buried in this cemetery. Warsaw (do. 1780-54 km away) and Lowicz (do 1829-24 km away) also used this cemetery. The last known Jewish burial was 1945. Landmark: Rejestr cmentary zydowskich Ungdu ds. Wyrnan z 1981 v (or r). The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is entirely closed by a continuous fence with locking gate. The pre-and post-WWII size of the cemetery is 2.8 ha. 1-20 stones are visible with less than 25% toppled or broken. Some missing stones are in the Muzeum Zienu Sochacrewskiej [Museum of Sochanew Region] pl. Kosciuszki 2 and in housing near the cemetery. 1810 was the earliest known Jewish burial. The 19th and 20th century granite, limestone, sandstone, or concrete rough stone/boulder; finely-smoothed and inscribed; flat stones with carved relief decoration; sculpted monuments; or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, Yiddish, and/or Polish inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims. There are known unmarked graves. The municipality owns the property used only for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is other cemeteries, residential and [szkota]. Occasionally, private visitors and organized Jewish groups visit. It was vandalized during WWII and occasionally. Local non-Jewish residents and Zwiarek Sochaczewian w Izraelu (Society of the Jews from Sochanew in Isreal) re-erected stones, fixed wall, and fixed gate in 1985-1991. Occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals is care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Security and vandalism are slight threats.
Pawel Fijatkowski, 96-500, Sochacnew, Zieninowila 11, tel. 227-91 completed survey on 12 July 1991 using a private photograph collection. He visited the site on 12 July 1991.
[UPDATE] Cemetery photos [January 2006]
Burial list [Jan 2015]
[UPDATE] Cemetery photos below from Facebook [February 2015]
[UPDATE] Facebook: photos of vandalism, with apologies for the language therein. [March 2016]
[UPDATE] Graffiti removed from Cemetery [April 2016]
|Last Updated on Friday, 08 April 2016 18:48|