Alternate names: Sobków [Po l], Sobkuv, Собкув [Rus], Sobkov [Yid], סובקוב [Hebr]. 50°42' N, 20°28' E, 13 miles SW of the regional capitol Kielce, 9 miles NE of Jędrzejów (Yendzhiv). 1900 Jewish population: 646. Sobków is a village in Jędrzejów powiat, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship in south-central Poland as the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Sobków. The village population is 870. Founded as a city in 1563 by Grand Treasurer of the Crown Stanisław Sobek, Sobków lost its city rights in 1869. Gmina Sobków contains the villages and settlements of Bizoręda, Brzegi, Brzeźno, Choiny, Chomentów, Jawór, Karsy, Korytnica, Lipa, Miąsowa, Mokrsko Dolne, Mokrsko Górne, Mzurowa, Niziny, Nowe Kotlice, Osowa, Sobków, Sokołów Dolny, Sokołów Górny, Staniowice, Stare Kotlice, Szczepanów, Wierzbica, Wólka Kawęcka and Żerniki. [July 2009]
Jewish settlement in Sobkow was first documented in 1662 with four Jewish taxpayers, then eight in 1673-1674, six in 1676, 252 in 1787, 665 in 1827. In 1858, when the Jews were over 60% of the population, a wooden synagogue, the rabbi's house, cheder, mikvah, poultry slaughterhouse, and the cemetery existed. About 1900, the number of Jews in Sobkow began to decline as the railway line to Dabrowa Gornicza and bad economic conditions resulted in the migration of the Jews to Jędrzejów. In the interwar period, their economic status deteriorated, until in 1929 they were forced to close the Jewish religious community in Sobkow, becoming subordinate to the Jędrzejow kahał. During WWI, a ghetto in Sobkowie held more than 800 Jews, including many displaced from other locations. On August 28, 1942, Jews from Sobkow were deported to the ghetto in Jędrzejowie and several days later to Treblinka. [July 2009]CEMETERY: The cemetery on the outskirts of the village at ul. Krzywej still retains clearly discernable boundaries. 70 damaged pieces of tombstones, most in situ, are traditional sandstone and conglomerates with inscriptions in Hebrew with bas-reliefs of torahs, lions, candlesticks, Cohanim hand, but no polychrome. In the vicinity of the road are three small gravestones with illegible inscriptions in a delicate font typical of the mid-18th century. A visible hill in the center of the cemetery may be the remnants of the ohel over the grave of a rabbi or tzaddik. The cemetery was destroyed during WWII. Theft and vandalism after liberation did further damage. Some graves have nothing more than bases. A sign says: "Cemetery of the Jews." Protected. The last burial was in Spring 1942. Destroyed during warfare in 1939-1945. Now in a degraded condition, intact since 1945. Pollution and [illegible ] facility will be punished. "The second plaque states:" Jewish Cemetery in Sobkow. Founded in the second half of the eighteenth century. "The two signs are corroded. video. photos. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000279
The town is located at 50º41'N 20º28'E in Kielce region, 26 km from Kielce. Cemetery: near the Catholic cemetery. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community is 17th century. 1921 Jewish population was 400 (18.9%). The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established possibly in the 17th century with last known Orthodox or Conservative Jewish burial 1942. The suburban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a broken masonry wall and no gate. The cemetery is now about 0.53 ha. The pre-WWII size is unknown but was larger than now. The size was reduced by agriculture. 20 to 100 stones in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken date from 18th century. The 18th [?]-20th century marble, granite, limestone, or sandstone, finely smoothed and inscribed or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions.Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and animal grazing. Adjacent property is agricultural and Catholic cemetery. Rarely, private visitors stop. It was vandalized during WWII but not in the last ten years. The cemetery receives no care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Security, weather erosion, and vegetation are moderate threats.
Adam Penkalla, deceased, completed survey on 15 Aug. 1991. He visited the site.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 09 July 2009 17:29|