Alternate names: Śmigiel [Pol], Schmiegel [Ger]. 52°01' N, 16°32' E, 33 miles SSW of Poznań (Posen), 12 miles N of Leszno (Lissa). 1900 Jewish population: 13 (in 1921). This town in Kościan powiat, Greater Poland Voivodeship with 5,420 inhabitants in 2004. While part of the Prussian Province of Posen, the town was administered within Kreis Schmiegel.rnate names: Śmigiel [Pol], Schmiegel [Ger].
US Commission No. POCE000318
Alternate German name: Shmigiel. Town is in region Leszczynskie at 52º01' 6º32', 21 km from Leszno and 48 km from Poznan. Cemetery: ul. Stanislawa Skarzynskiego. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 13 (0.3%). Hejmann Kirzezunge lived here. The last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial was 29 June 1933. The unlandmarked, isolated, urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is entirely closed with a continuous masonry wall and partial fence with a new gate that locks belonging to the new users (a garden). The pre-WWII size was and now is 0.26 ha. No stones are visible. Removed stones are stored elsewhere by the municipality. The municipality owns the property used for agriculture. Adjacent property is residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. It was vandalized during World War II. There is no care. Within the limits of the cemetery are a pre-burial house and a gravedigger's house. No threats.
Dariusz Czwodrak, ul. Lipowa 22 a/4, 67-400 Wschowa completed survey on 7 Nov 1991. He visited the site for this survey on 6 Nov 1991 and interviewed Pella Blandyna.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 09 July 2009 13:38|