Alternate names: Słońsk [Pol], Sonnenburg [Ger]. 52°33' N 14°48' E, 261.9 miles W of Warszawa, 25 km (16 mi) NW of Sulęcin and 36 km (22 mi) SW of Gorzów Wielkopolski. This village in Gmina Slonsk, Sulęcin powiat of Lubusz Voivodeship in western Poland bordering the Ujście Warty National Parkhad town privileges from 1808 to 1947. It was the site of a former Nazi concentration camp called Sonnenburg, which is now a museum. Gmina Słońsk contains the villages and settlements of Budzigniew, Chartów, Głuchowo, Grodzisk, Jamno, Lemierzyce, Lubomierzycko, Ownice, Polne, Przyborów and Słońsk. [July 2009]
Jewish cemetery in Slonsk on Tkacka St. was established in 19th century. and liquidated in 1950, the wall destroyed and matzevot taken away. A sawmill now stands on the site. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000363
The unlandmarked Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established in the beginning of the 19th century. The isolated urban flat ground has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is entirely closed with a non-locking gate. The sawmill area surrounded by fence is locked. The pre-WWII cemetery size was about 0.2 ha. Today, the cemetery is much smaller. No stones are visible. The cemetery contains no known unmarked mass graves. A sawmill owns the property used for industrial/commercial purposes. Adjacent property is commercial/industrial. It was vandalized during WWII. No maintenance or care.
Henryk Grecki, 70-539 Szczecin, ul. Soltysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey on 14 Aug 1991.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 08 July 2009 17:04|