Alternate names: Skoki [Pol], Schokken [Ger]. 52°40' N, 17°10' E, 19 miles NNE of Poznań (Posen), 20 miles WNW Gniezno (Gnesen), 9 miles S of Wągrowiec. 1900 Jewish population: 182 (in 1895). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), X, pp. 685-686: "Skoki". This town in Greater Poland Voivodeship, Wągrowiec powiat, with 3,779 inhabitants in 2004is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Skoki. Established in 1367, the town was always involved in handicrafts, particularly cloth weaving up to the 19th century. Besides thee town of Skoki, Gmina Skoki contains the villages and settlements of Antoniewo Górne, Antoniewo-Leśniczówka, Bliżyce, Brzeźno, Budziszewice, Chociszewko, Chociszewo, Dzwonowo, Dzwonowo Leśne, Glinno, Grzybowice, Grzybowo, Ignacewo, Jabłkowo, Jagniewice, Kakulin, Kuszewo, Lechlin, Lechlin-Huby, Lechlinek, Łosiniec, Miączynek, Młynki, Nadmłyn, Niedarzyn, Niedźwiedziny, Pawłowo Skockie, Pomarzanki, Potrzanowo, Raczkowo, Rakojady, Rejowiec, Rościnno, Roszkówko, Roszkowo, Sława Wielkopolska, Sławica, Stawiany, Szczodrochowo and Wysoka. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000444
Alternate German name: Schokken. It is in the region of Poznan at 52º4017º10, 40 km from Poznan. The cemetery is located on ul. Antoniewska. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 66, 4.6%. The unlandmarked Conservative cemetery is about 0.5 km from the town. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence or gate. No stones are visible. Part of the market square was paved with stones from the cemetery. Seven stones are in the manor park. The municipality owns property now used as a park. Properties adjacent are agricultural. There has been no maintenance or vandalism in the cemetery in the last ten years. Security and vegetation are very serious threats.
Pniewski Fracomi [sic], Poznan, ul. Pnyfyorewskieg completed survey in August 1991. Documentation: Heppner, Aus Vergorkyesheit... He visited in June 1991 and interviewed local people.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 July 2009 23:26|