Alternate names: Skaryszew, Skierishov, Skarishev. 51°19' N, 21°15' E, 8 miles SSE of Radom. 1900 Jewish population: 775. Gmina Skaryszew is an urban-rural administrative district in Radom powiat, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland with its seat is the town of Skaryszew, which lies approximately 12 kilometres (7 mi) SE of Radom and 103 km (64 mi) S of Warsaw. The gmina 2006 total population is 13,356 with the town's 3,989). Besides the town of Skaryszew, Gmina Skaryszew contains the villages and settlements of Anielin, Antoniów, Bogusławice, Bujak, Chomętów-Puszcz, Chomętów-Socha, Chomętów-Szczygieł, Edwardów, Gębarzów, Gębarzów-Kolonia, Grabina, Huta Skaryszewska, Janów, Kazimierówka, Kłonowiec-Koracz, Kłonowiec-Kurek, Kobylany, Maków, Maków Nowy, Makowiec, Miasteczko, Modrzejowice, Niwa Odechowska, Nowy Dzierzkówek, Odechów, Odechowiec, Podsuliszka, Sołtyków, Stary Dzierzkówek, Tomaszów, Wilczna, Wólka Twarogowa, Wymysłów and Zalesie. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: Normal 0 Founded in 1891, the Nazis vandalized the 1.2-ha cemetery at streets Skarżysku-Kamiennej Łyżwy in the area of present municipal cemetery in district Łyżwy near the railroad station Skarżysko-Kościelne. In 1953, 50 sandstone gravetones remain, dating from 1915. Visible are symbols and Hebrew and Polish inscriptions. Jewish organizations fenced the property in 1977, but that is damaged or stolen. photos. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000075
Alternate Yiddish name: Skarishov. The town is located in Radomskie province at 51º20 N 21º15E, 115 km from Warsaw and 13 km from Radom. The cemetery location is agricultural near the road for Bogustawice. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community is 1863. 1921 Jewish population was 820 Jews, or 39.6%. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established about 1880 with the last known Orthodox or Conservative Jewish burial 1942. The isolated ruralon flat land between woods and field has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence or gate. The present size of the cemetery is about 1 ha. No stones or are known mass graves exist. . No structures. The municipality owns the cemetery used for agriculture as is surrounding property. Private visitors visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years.
Adam Penkalla, deceased, completed survey on August 16, 1991. He visited the site on July 2, 1991, conducted no interviews.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 July 2009 00:11|