Siwkowice is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Resko within Łobez powiat, West Pomeranian Voivodeship in NW Poland, 13 km (8 mi) SW of Resko, 27 km (17 mi) NW of Łobez, and 57 km (35 mi) NE of the regional capital Szczecin. Before 1945 the area was part of Germany.
US Commission No. POCE000207
The town is in Szczecin region at 53º43.6 15º00.24, 6 km from Resko in Gmina Resko. The cemetery address is 73-307 Resko. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was about 1856. Before World War II, there were around 45-50 Jews. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established around 1850 with last known Jewish burial in 1940. The isolated rural flat land between fields and woods has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The cemetery is approximately 0.09 ha, both before World War II and currently. 1 and 20 granite or sandstone, rough or flat-shaped stones, many in original locations with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1898-20th centuries. Inscriptions are in Yiddish or German. There are no known mass graves. A regional or national governmental agency owns cemetery used for storage and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Vegetation is a very serious threat, disturbing graves; weather erosion is a serious threat; security is a moderate threat; and pollution, vandalism and incompatible planned development are slight threats.
Dr. Alojzy Kowalczyk, ul. Moniuszki 4/B, 73-110, Stargard, tel. 73-44-40 completed survey October 13, 1991, Documentation: "Karta Cmentarza", Siwkowice II, gm. Resko. Dr. Kowalczyk interviewed the local officials and residents, and visited on October 12, 1991.
|Last Updated on Monday, 06 July 2009 23:03|