Alternate names: Sidra [Pol, Rus, Yid], Shidra, Sidre. Сидра [Rus], סידרה [Yid]. 53°34' N, 23°27' E, 32 miles NNE of Białystok, 18 miles WSW of Grodno, 11 miles N of Sokółka. 1900 Jewish cemetery: 742. This village in Sokółka powiat, Podlaskie Voivodeship in NE Gmina Sidra, 18 km (11 mi) N of Sokółka and 52 km (32 mi) N of the regional capital Białystok has a population of 730.
US Commission No. POCE000136
Yiddish alternate name: Shidza. Sidra is located in Bialystok at 53º34 23º27, 60km from Bialystok. The cemetery is in the W part of the town, by the road to Sidezka. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1921 Jewish population was 465. Mosze Gerszon Mowszowicz lived here. The cemetery was established during the 18th century with last known Orthodox, Conservative, or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial 1940. The rural agricultural flat land by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no fence, wall, or gate. The cemetery occupied 0.8 hectares before World War II. It no longer exists. No tombstones remain. Some removed stones were incorporated into the road from Sidra to Siderka. Municipality owns property used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Currently, no cemetery remains.
Tomasz Wisniewski, ul. Bema 95/99, Bialystok, Tel. 212-46 completed survey in 9/91. He visited in 1990. http://cksr.ac.bialystok.pl/flattic/unia/sidra.html [October 2000]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 05 July 2009 20:05|