|SEDZISZOW MAKOPOLSKI: Podkarpackie|
Sędziszów Małopolski is a large town between Ropczyce and Rzeszów in W Galicia in Ropczyce-Sędziszów powiat, Subcarpathian Voivodeship with a 2009 population of 7,078. The Nazis destroyed the 0.9 ha cemetery with a partial wall remaining. One complete gravestone and fragments of other broken ones are visible. An ohel for Rabbi Horowitz was built in the 1990s. A monument marks the mass grave of 680 Jews from Sędziszów, shot by the Nazis in summer 1942. [June 2009]
CEMETERY: Overgrown, with an obelisk memorial in the centerto 400 Jews murdered here by the Nazis, an elderly man near the cemetery had the key. The German's made them dig their own grave and undress before shooting them. photos. video. [June 2009]
ShtetLink. [November 2002]
US Commission No. POCE000503
Alternate Yiddish names: Sendeshov and Shendeshov. The town is located at 50º04' 21º42', 23 km W of Rzeszow. Cemetery: ul. Szkarpowa (or Kzlarpowa) in Rzeszow St. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community is 17th century. 1921 Orthodox and Progressive/Reform Jewish population was about 1,000. The synagogue was about 200 meters from cemetery. Zagonyce, Zwierceu, Uoyncyce, [one other illegible ??ame S.] also used this unlandmarked locked Jewish cemetery established in the 17th century. The last known Jewish burial was 1943. The isolated urban flat land with a Polish sign or plaque has Jewish symbols on the gate or wall. The sign mentions the cemetery date. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. The cemetery has a continuous fence and a locking gate. The cemetery is 1,500 sq. meters as before WWII. 1-20 are visible in original location, none toppled or broken. Removed stones were incorporated into roads or structures in Rynek. Within the cemetery is a special section for rabbis. The 20th century sandstone and limestone finely smoothed stones are inscribed in Hebrew and Polish. The oldest gravestone in the cemetery dates from 1942. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims and marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. It was vandalized during World War II and not in the last ten years. The 1986 restoration of the wall and gate were carried out by Jewish individual abroad. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation is a seasonal problem, preventing access.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 05 July 2009 14:50|