Alternate names: Sarnaki [Pol, Rus, Yid], Sarnak. Russian: Сарнаки. סארנאקי Yiddish. 52°19' N, 22°53' E, 27 miles ENE of Siedlce, 11 miles NW of Konstantynów, 10 miles NE of Łosice (Lushitz). Jewish population: 1900 - about 800 and 1,198 in 1921.
Yizkor: Sefer yizkor le-kehilat Sarnaki, (Haifa, 1968).
Gmina Sarnaki is a rural administrative district in Łosice powiat, Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland with its seat in the village of Sarnaki, 16 km (10 mi) NE of Łosice and 129 km (80 mi) E of Warsaw with a 2006 total population is 5,250. Gmina Sarnaki contains the villages and settlements of Binduga, Bonin, Bonin-Ogródki, Borsuki, Bużka, Chlebczyn, Chybów, Franopol, Grzybów, Hołowczyce-Kolonia, Horoszki Duże, Horoszki Małe, Klepaczew, Klimczyce, Klimczyce-Kolonia, Kózki, Mierzwice-Kolonia, Nowe Hołowczyce, Nowe Litewniki, Nowe Mierzwice, Płosków, Płosków-Kolonia, Raczki, Rozwadów, Rzewuszki, Serpelice, Stare Hołowczyce, Stare Litewniki, Stare Mierzwice, Terlików and Zabuże. [June 2009]
CEMETERY: Sarnaki Jewish Cemetery established in 1742 is the first documentation of the Jews here. The date probably corresponds to the founding of the kahal but not of the first residence of Jews in Sarnaki. Kirkut, the road leading to the village Rzewuszki, is located slanted to the road after its left side (now Konopnickiej street, an alley oblique covered concrete cube at the outlet of the road in the direction Łosice). The 1921 Jewish population was 1,198. Shortly before the outbreak of war, the Jewish population of 75% of the community. The 0.91 hectares cemetery has an adjacent plot, now a meadow, probably had no dead buried there. Originally with a brick and stonewall with a roofed wooden gate. In the cemetery is a wooden gravedigger shed. In 1941, during preparations for the German invasion of the Soviet Union the cemetery wall was dismantled for use in the road to Wybrukowania Bugu as were those of Christian cemeteries. Since that time, the cemetery progressively deteriorated. In the 1970s, the cemetery was clearly visible, including a large tomb. Today, six gravestone fragments remain, but are difficult to locate because of the dense blackthorn scrub. "Ghetto - the Jews in recent years Sarnakach". In autumn 2007, two other gravestones were found. Photos. [June 2009]
In 1942 the Nazis stole 100 headstones from Jewish cemeteries in Sarnaki, Mordy, and Losice. These were brought to a building at # 2 Mickiewicza Street to be used as the pavement for the courtyard. Source. [February 2010]
|Last Updated on Friday, 03 December 2010 13:32|