Alternate names: Sandomierz [Pol], Tzoizmir, צויזמיר [Yid], Zuzmir [Yid], Sandomir [Ger], Sandomirzh, Сандомир [Rus], Sandoměř [Cz], Sandomyerz, Sudomir, Tsoyzmir, Tsuyzmir, Tsuzmir. 50°41' N, 21°45' E, 23 miles SE of Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski, 48 miles ESE of Kielce, 53 miles SW of Lublin. Jewish population: 2,163.
The Jewish community had been the second largest in Poland because a special privilege granted in 1367 guaranteed royal protection to the local Jewish community followed by the "Sandomierz Agreement" from 1570 between Calvinists, Lutherans and Hussites (Bohemian Brothers). The first Jewish community in Sandomierz was established as early as in the 14th century. Before WWII about 40% of the town's population was Jewish. The brick baroque synagogue erected in 1768 was renovated in 1872, 1911 and 1929 and still stands (as does the Kahal building) but now houses the State Archive since 1970s. The synagogue was devastated by Nazis during World War II. Also see some Jewish history at JewishGen ShtetLink.
Reference: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 78
Reference: They Lived Among Us: Polish Judaica, a travel brochure.
Reference: Rachel Litowicz's Story. [April 2011]
Tatarska Street Cemetery: The old Jewish cemetery was mentioned for the fist time in historical sources in the second half of the 15th century and destroyed during the "Swedish Deluge". Not one trace of the old 0.5 ha cemetery can be found, since building cover its site. map. [April 2011]
Sucha Street Cemetery: A new Jewish cemetery located on Sucha Street established in the 17th century was devastated by the Nazis during WWII. Others claim the cemetery was founded in 1850 at Zydowski street and vandalized during WWII, but that probably refers to the Sucha Street Cemetery. About 50 matzevot remain near the well with fine examples of Jewish funerary decorative art. Fragments form a pyramid shaped lapidarium in the center. A lapidarium was built from preserved pieces of tombstones. photos. photograph. wall of gravestones. memorial. [June 2009 and April 2011]
SANDOMIERZ (I) and (II): US Commission Report No. 000227 and 228. Tarnobrzeg. The US Commission is rechecking these files. 
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 April 2011 12:44|