Alternate names: Rzeszów [Pol], Raysha, ריישע [Yid], Reichshof [Ger, 1941-45], Zheshuv, Жешув [Rus], Riashiv, Ряшiв [Ukr], Žešova [Latv], Resovia [Lat], Řešov [Cz], Reisha, Risha, Rayshe, Raishov, Zheshov, Zhezhov. Jewish population: 8,785 (in 1910). Yizkors: Kehilat Raysha; sefer zikaron (Tel Aviv, 1967) [Yizkor Book Images] and Prace Historyczno - Archiwalne (Rzeszow, 1993/4). ShtetLink site and site. JOWBR burial list. This city with a 2009 population of 171,330 inhabitants in SE Poland is the capital and largest city of the Subcarpathian Voivodeship (since 1999) and previously of Rzeszów Voivodeship (1945-1998). Cemetery photos. photo. synagogue photo. synagogue sketch. [June 2009]
OLDEST CEMETERY: Founded the near old synagogue in the 16th century, the oldest surviving stone dated from 1553 when the Nazis vandalized the cemetery, stealing the gravestones to build roads. The site progressively deteriorated until today when a parking facility is located on the site. [June 2009]
OLD CEMETERY: Founded in the 17th century and used to the end of the 19th century, Ghetto Victim Square on Sobieskiego. The Nazis destroyed it completely in 1942. A memorial (boulder) and granite tablet with an inscription in Hebrew and Polish stands there. [June 2009]
NEW CEMETERY: Founded in 1849 on Rejtana boulevard, this cemetery functioned until the Nazi occupation vandalized the cemetery, using part of the matzevot to reinforceme the riverbank as well as for street work on Asnyka, in Szopena and in the Tyczynie market. In 1944, 754 matzevot remained, the majority fallen to the ground. Among them were those of Rabbi Aaron Lewin with rich decoration and olish inscriptions. The oldest preserved gravestone dates from 1851 as do three others that are to be [or are] placed in the cemetery with those of Cwi Elimelech Szapiro Błażow and son Jozuego Rybotycz and Abraham Horowic. A Holocaust memorial in the cemetery commemorates victims and Jewish soldiers. Landmarked in 1983, the site was cleaned in 1986 and fencing built. [June 2009]
"Reisha: the two old cemeteries were gone, while the newer cemetery had only two gravestones standing." Source: Cohen, Chester G. "Jewish Cemeteries in Southern Poland" from `An Epilogue' in Shtetl Finder. 1980.
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 62-63
RZESZOW: (I) US Commission No. POCE000487
The earliest Jewish community was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population was 14,000. Rabbi Samuel Ha-Levi, Aaron Lewi, and Jacobow Reischmer lived here. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 16th century with last Orthodox burial in the 19th century. Other communities from Rzeszow State used the cemetery. The urban flat land has no sign or markers with no walls, fence, or gate. The approximate size of the no longer extant cemetery before WWII was 2000 m. The removed marble, granite, limestone sandstone and slate stones were incorporated into Chopin Road. Stones were from the 16th century. Inscriptions were in Hebrew, Yiddish and Polish. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for a park. Properties adjacent are residential. The boundaries of the cemetery are smaller than they were in 1939 because of new roads, highways, and park. It was vandalized both prior and during WWII. There is a monument.
Natasche Rode, ul. Stanjusliepo 5/29, 35-213 Rzesiow completed survey on April 28, 1992 after a visit to the site using documentation: 'Tamkin Rzesow' F?? Kotule [sic].
RZESZOW (II): US Commission No. POCE000488
The cemetery location is on Rejtana Str. See Rzeszow (I) for town information.
Rabbi Natare Lewi is buried in the cemetery. The last Orthodox (Hashels [sic]) burial was in 1944. Other communites from Rzeszow State also were buried here. The approximate distance from the congregation was 1 km. Local, regional landmark: January 14, 1983. A-1130. The isolated urban flat land has Hebrew inscriptions on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with permission, with a continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before WWII was 2600 square meters and remains the same today. 754 gravestones, most are not in original locations with 50-75% toppled or broken. Some removed sones were incorporated into roads or structures [sic]: Wistok River. The gravestones date from the 18th century-20th century. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped, finely smoothed and inscribed, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or sculpted monuments have tracings of paintings on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, bronze decorations or lettering, metallic elements, or portraits on the stones. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, Yiddish and Polish. The cemetery contains a special monument to Holocaust victims, pogrom victims, and Jewish soldiers. There are marked mass graves. The national Jewish community and the municipality own site used for Jewish burials only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The boundaries of the cemetery remain the same since 1939. Organized Jewish groups, private visitors, and local residents visit frequently. The cemetery has been vandalized during WWII and occasionally still. Stone are being re-erected; and local or municipal authorities repaired the wall in 1986. Occasionally, authorities clear. Within the limits of the cemetery is more than one ohel. Vegetation is a seasonal problem. Security, Pollution, vegetation and vandalism are minor threats.
Natascha Rhode, 35-213 Rzeszow, ul. Steryislinepp 5/29 completed survey April 24, 1992
[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [April 2016]
|Last Updated on Monday, 04 April 2016 22:14|