You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland RYPIN: Kujawsko-Pomorskie
RYPIN: Kujawsko-Pomorskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of RypinThis town in Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship about 50 km E of Toruń is the capital of Rypin powiat has a 2004 population of 16,558.. Rypin powiat is a unit of territorial administration and local government in Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship since January 1, 1999 with its administrative seat and only town as Rypin, 56 km (35 mi) E of Toruń and 98 km (61 mi) E of Bydgoszcz. 2006 total population of 44,306. Jews first appeared in Rypin in the 16th century with the kahal formed in the mid-17th century. In addition to the great synagogue, Chassidic houses of prayer in the city Chassids were Aleksandrów and Gora Kalwaria tzaddikim. A Chasidic yeshiva existed. Rypiń Jews received the right of free trade and the acquisition of property in the 1799. In the 19th century the Jewish population triplled- from 517 in 1827 to 1,706 in 1897. In 1921, 2,791 Jews lived there. After the outbreak of WWII, many Jewish residents fled to the east; and some Jews were killed at various places in the city. Others were forced to the ghettos in Plonsk, Mławie, Ciechanow and other cities. Most perished. [June 2009]

CEMETERY: photo. A 1990 lapidarium of 40 surviving matzevot in the new Jewish cemetery on Spokojna Street along the road from Rypin to Sierpc contains matzevaot used by Germans in 1940 for a sidewalk. A burial list was made in 1989. A fence surrounds the cemetery. photos. [June 2009]

Gravestone database. [Nov 2013]

Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 13:27
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution