Alternate names: Rybotycze [Pol], Ribotich, Ribotitch. 49°39' N, 22°39' E, 11 miles SSW of Przemyśl. Jewish population: 459 (in 1880). JOWBR burial list: Jewish Cemetery. Rybotycze is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Fredropol, Przemyśl powiat, Subcarpathian Voivodeship in SE Poland, nearthe border with Ukraine, 10 km (6 mi) SW of Fredropol, 18 km (11 mi) SW of Przemyśl, and 63 km (39 mi) SEof the regional capital Rzeszó with a population of 440. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), X, pp. 67-68: "Rybotycze". [June 2009]
Tzaddik Rabbi Elimelech Szapiro founded the Jewish community before 1881. About 40 matzevot of 19th and 20th century matzevot stand and over 100 are fallen in the cemetery on a hill a few hundred meters behind the village on the road to Zakolu Makow. Kahal buildings such as the synagogue were destroyed during the war. In 2006, a group of students and the Schools Environmental Agrobiznesu cleaned the cemetery of grass, weeds and rubbish. 90% of fallen matzevot were not raised because the rabbinical commission did not allow it. "One God-Three Religions" project commemorates and respects all groups that resided on Przemyl land. The entire cemetery was fenced with a wood gate, marble memorial, and stone and brick pedestal installed and gravestones raised in July 2007 under the sponsorship of Moses Rubinferd from the US with the late Rachel Salik from France. An unveiling was planned for 2007. Many gravestones are overgrown with grass. "Joint forces renewed kirkut neglected. [June 2009] Cemetery photos. Project. Photo. [May 2006]
US Commission No. POCE000147
Rybotyoze is in Przemysl Province at 49º39 22º39', 19 km from Przemysl. The cemetery is located E of the village. Present population is under 1000 with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 314. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established before 1881. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or fence and no gate. Approximate size is 1 ha. 100-500 gravestones, approximately 20-100 in original location with more than 75% tubmled or broken, date from 19th-20th century. They sandstone or slate, flat shaped, finely smoothed and inscribed, some with carved relief decorations, have Hebrew inscriptions. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for an unused Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII, no maintenance or structures. Moderate threats: security (cemetery is far from the village), weather erosion, and vegetation. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access.
Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21m 1 02-567 Warszaw, tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on October 6, 1992. Robert Kaskow and Marcin Wodzinski visited the site in August 1990.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 02 July 2009 19:00|