Alternate names: Rozprza [Pol], Rospesha, רוזפשה [Yid], Rozpsha, Розпша [Rus]. 51°18' N, 19°38' E, 32 miles SSE of Łódź, 7 miles SSW of Piotrków Trybunalski. Jewish population: 593 (in 1887). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IX, pp. 842-844: "Rozprza". Gmina Rozprza is a rural administrative district in Piotrków powiat, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland with its seat is the village of Rozprza, 12 km (7 mi) S of Piotrków Trybunalski and 55 km (34 mi) S of the regional capital Łódź. The gmina 2006 total population was 12,039. Gmina Rozprza contains the villages and settlements of Adolfinów, Bagno, Bazar, Biała Róża, Białocin, Bogumiłów, Bryszki, Budy, Budy Porajskie, Cekanów, Cieślin, Dzięciary, Gieski, Ignaców, Janówka, Kęszyn, Kisiele, Łazy Duże, Łochyńsko, Longinówka, Lubień, Magdalenka, Mierzyn, Mierzyn-Kolonia, Milejów, Milejowiec, Nowa Wieś, Nowa Wola Niechcicka, Pieńki, Rajsko Duże, Rajsko Małe, Romanówka, Rozprza, Stara Wieś, Stara Wola Niechcicka, Stefanówka, Straszów, Straszówek, Świerczyńsko, Truszczanek, Wroników and Zmożna Wola. [June 2009]
Jewish settlement in Rozprzy began in the 17th century with Jews expelled from Piotrkow Trybunalski. In the mid-17th century, the kahal was formed. Jewish population: 1827-213; 1857-246; 1900-593 (62%); and 1921-546. Jews from Rozprzy trade with Gdansk since the Warsaw-Vienna Railway was built. During WWII in 1942, the ghetto inhabitants were transferred to Piotrkow Trybunalski and later to death camps. [June 2009]CEMETERY: Behind the Catholic cemetery, the Jewish cemetery was established in 1677 and also served Jews from Piotrkow Trybunalski and surrounding towns. Only three graves and a few fragments remain as do traces of the old fence. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000036. In Piotrkow Trybunalski. The US Commission is not finished rechecking this file. 
US Commission No. POCE98A
Rozpra is located in Piotrkow at 51º1819º38, 14 km from Piotrkow. The cemetery is located at S of town. Present population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1921 Orthodox Jewish population was 546, 50.2%. Piotrkow Trybunalski used this unlandmarked cemetery in 17th century. The rural (agricultural) crown of a hill, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.79 ha hectares. 1 to 20 stones date from 1827-20th century. The sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits are no structures. The municipality owns property used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery has been vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism.
Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21 m.1 02-567 Warszawa; tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on 14 Oct 1991. The site was not visited. No interviews.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2009 12:22|