Alternate names: Rossosz [Pol], Rosash, רוסוש [Yid], Rossosh, Россош [Rus]. 51°51' N, 23°08' E, 13 miles S of Biała Podlaska, 30 miles SW of Brest-Litovsk, 42 miles ESE of Siedlce. 1900 Jewish population: about 300. Gmina Rossosz is a rural administrative district in Biała Podlaska County, Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland with its seat is the village of Rossosz. The gmina 2006 total population was 2,404. Gmina Rossosz contains the villages and settlements of Bordziłówka, Kożanówka, Mokre, Musiejówka, Romaszki and Rossosz. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000389
Alternate Yiddish name: Rosasz (Rosash). Rossosz is located in Biala-Podlaska at 51º51 23º8, 82km NNE of Lublina. The cemetery is located at ul. Wisznicka. Present population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community in Rossosz was before 1566. The Orthodox Jewish population (census) before World War II was 400. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, gate or fence around the cemetery. The present size of cemetery is 0.30 hectares. No gravestones are visible. There is a special memorial monument to Holocaust victims in the center of the village and no structures. The municipality currently owns the unused cemetery property. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II with no maintenance since. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem.
Michal Witwicki, ul. Dembowskiego 12/53, 02-784 Warszawa, Tel: 6418345 completed survey on 12/08/1991. M. Witwicki and E. Bergman visited the site on 3 August 1991.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2009 11:42|