You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland ROGOZNO: Wielkopolskie
ROGOZNO: Wielkopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of RogoźnoAlternate names: Rogoźno [Pol], Rogasen [Ger], Rogozhin [Yid], Rogóźno Wielkopolskie. 52°45' N, 17°01' E, 23 miles N of Poznań (Posen). 1900 Jewish population: 834. This town in Greater Poland Voivodeship with a 2006 population is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Rogoźno in Oborniki powiat. Apart from the town of Rogoźno, Gmina Rogoźno contains the villages and settlements of Budziszewko, Cieśle, Dziewcza Struga, Garbatka, Gościejewo, Grudna, Jaracz, Józefinowo, Karolewo, Kaziopole, Laskowo, Marlewo, Międzylesie, Nienawiszcz, Nowy Młyn, Olszyna, Owczegłowy, Owieczki, Parkowo, Pruśce, Ruda, Sierniki, Słomowo, Stare, Studzieniec, Szczytno, Tarnowo, Wełna, Wojciechowo and Żołędzin. [June 2009]

Normal 0

OLD CEMETERY: Established probably in the second half of the 16th century on forest land of about 1.5 hectares. [June 2009]

NEW CEMETERY: Probably established in the 19th century and destroyed during the WWII when the Germans took gravestones were street construction, only ruins of the beit tahara remain. Some matzevot were found and stored in the local Museum Wojciecha Dutkiewicza at Placu Karola Marcinkowskiego l. Several old padlocks remain from the cemetery. photos. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000412

Rogasen is the German name of town. Rogozno is in Pila region at 52º45N 17º00E, 35 km. from Poznan. Cemetery: Lesna St. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Gminy w Rogozine and mgr. Roman Chraliszewski, Wojewodzki. Konserwator Zabytkow, 64-920 Pila, ul. Tczewska 1, tel. 223-88.
  • Regional: Panstwowa Sturba Ochrany Zabythkow, Oddriat w Pile, mgr. Barbara Luczynska, solves j.w.
  • Information: mgr. Marek Fijatkowski, Muzeum Okregowe, 64-920 Pila, ul. Chopina 1, tel. 271-37.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1569. The unlandmarked cemetery was established end of the sixteenth century. The community was Progressive/Reform. The isolated urban crown of a hill called Gorka Zydowska (Jewish Hill) has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 1.512 OR .1512 ha. No stones are visible. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent property is agricultural and residential. Rarely, local residents visit. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery is a gravedigger's house. Weather erosion, vegetation, and vandalism are slight threats.

inz. Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soltysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey on August 30, 1991 using "Karta Cmentarza". The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2009 11:12
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution