|RADZYNA PODLASKI: Lubelskie|
Normal 0 Alternate names: Radzyń Podlaski [Pol], Rodzin, ראדזין [Yid], Radzyn', Радзынь-Подляски. [Rus], Radzyń, Radzin, Kozirynek. 51°47' N, 22°37' E, 37 miles N of Lublin, 30 miles SSE of Siedlce. 1900 Jewish population: 2,853. ShtetLink. Yizkors: Radzin 1939-1943 (Tel Aviv, ); Sefer Radzin (Tel Aviv, 1957); and Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999). This town in eastern Poland about 60 km N of Lublin with 16,140 inhabitants in 2004 in Lublin Voivodeship since 1999 and previously in Biala Podlaska Voivodeship 1975-1998 and the capital of Radzyń Podlaski powiat. Founded in 1468, the most important landmark is the Potocki Palace. Jewish settlement in Radzyniu Podlaskim began shortly after it has been established. In 1765, 537 Jews lived here. Radzyń has been a Chasidic center. In 1921, the 2,895 Jews were 59.7% of the population. During WWII, most of the Jews perished at Treblinka. After the war, about 20 survivors returned and soon left. [June 2009]
OLD CEMETERY: The old Jewish cemetery between Zabielską, Cichą, and Chomiczewsk had a fence with straight, traditional matzevot. The site was abandoned and neglect. Two ohels existed before the destruction of WWII. The site is built over. [June 2009]NEW CEMETERY: In the early 20th century, the local kahal established a second cemetery on ul Lubelski about 2 km from the city on the road leading to Czemiernik and directly adjacent to the municipal cemetery. Destroyed by the Nazis during WWII, devastation continued in communist Poland as thieves stole gravestones for paving or discs for grinding machines. Various Jewish groups and local authorities organized to clean the 0.69 ha cemetery site. On 16 August 1995, an obelisk inscribed in Hebrew, Polish, and English and dedicated to the victims of the Holocaust was unveiled at the cemetery. Few gravestones or fragments are visible. Cleaned annually, in 2008 someone from the nearby villages brought a matzevah used as a shield during WWII to the cemetery. Directions: Follow the signs from the city center toward Parczew. Both cemeteries are located away from the buildings of the city about 300-400 meters as a crossroads of Wisznickiej Lubelskiej on the left side of the road. The ohel is that of tzaddik Mordechaj Joseph ben Gershon Henocha Eleazar. Photos. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000314
1921 Jewish population was 0. The unlandmarked Progressive/Reform and Conservative cemetery was established beginning of the 19th century. The isolated rural crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The cemetery is 0.09 ha as before WWII. No stones are visible. The cemetery contains no mass graves. The municipality owns property used for storage and waste dumping. Adjacent property is agricultural and residential. It was vandalized prior to World War II. No maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats. Security is a slight threat.
Dariusz Czwojdrak, ul. Lipowa 22a/4, 67-400 Wschowa completed this survey on Nov. 7, 1991. He interviewed Jolanta Kanska, Rydayna on 6 Nov. 1991.
RADZYN PODLASKI: (I) US Commission No. POCE000390
Alternate name: Rodzin (Yiddish). Radzyn Podlaski is located in Biala-Podlaska at 51º47 22º37, 69km N of Lublina. The cemetery is located at ul. Lubelska. Present population is 5,000-25,000.
The Jewish population (census) before World War II was 3500. Effecting the Orthodox Jewish Community was Hasidic court. Tzaddik Gershou Hanoch Leiner (1839-? in Radzyni) founder of the dynasty, lived and is buried here. The unlandmarked, suburban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no fence, gate, or wall. Fewer than 20 visible concrete (primarily fragments and foundations only) gravestones are left in the cemetery. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and Catholic cemetery. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem that prevents access. Uncontrolled passage across the cemetery by local farmers is the greatest threat.
Michal Witwicki, ul. Dembowskiego 12/53, 02-784 Warszawa, Tel: 6418345. M. Witwicki and Eleonora Bergman visited site on August 3, 1991 and completed survey on 12/09/1991.
RADZYN PODLASKI (II): US Commission No. POCE000391
|Last Updated on Monday, 29 June 2009 23:44|