Alternate names: Radomsko [Pol], Radomsk, ראדומסק [Yid], Nowo Radomsko [Pol, 1857-1917], Novo Radomsk [Rus], Naya Radomsk. 51°04' N, 19°27' E, 47 miles S of Łódź, 25 miles SSW of Piotrków Trybunalski, 23 miles NE of Częstochowa. 1900 Jewish population: 11,767. Yizkors: The Holocaust Martyrs: May God avenge their blood (, ) and Sefer yizkor le-kehilat Radomsk ve-ha-seviva (Tel Aviv, 1967). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IX, pp. 423-427: "Radomsk". This town in central Poland with 50,618 inhabitants in 2006 on the Radomka river in powiat radomszczański in Łódź Voivodeship (since 1999) and previously in Piotrków Trybunalski Voivodeship (1975-1998) is the capital of Radomsko County. [June 2009] ShtetLink. Normal 0 In 1643, the king's "de non tolerandis judaeis" precluded Jewish settlement in Radomsko until 1862 although Jews lived in the nearby village of Bugaj. These Bugajscy Jews could engage in trade in Radomsko, but could not live the city. In 1834, the village of Bugaj was incorporated into the administrative area. Around that time, the Board organized kahal and built the synagogue. Dynamic growth began in 1846 when the Vienna-Warsaw railway line came to Radomsko. Jews in Radomsko were involved in trade, has a factory, hotels, and restaurants. Radomsko also became an important center of Chasidism with a local tzaddikim dynasty founded in 1843 by Solomon Kohen Rabinowicza and Meir Opatow, advocate and author of the book "Tiferet Szlomo. In 1921 18,732 inhabitants included 7,774 Jews and in 1939, 55% of all citizens were Jews. Nazi troops entered Radomsko on September 3, 1939 with the ghetto created on December 20, 1939 for Jews from Radomska and nearby villages. On October 9, 1942, the ghetto was liquidated. No Jewish community buildings remain. Ghetto information. Jewish history. [June 2009]CEMETERY: The vast 19th century cemetery on ul Przedborskiej 196 was the site of mass executions during WWII. Many matzevot remain, Chassids visit the ohel of Salamon, Cwi Meir, Abraham Isachar, Ezechiel, Salomon, and Mojzesz Elimelch Rabinowicz and three women, the wives and daughters of Abraham tzaddik Isachara Elimelech and his wife of Moses. Cemetery photos [January 2006]
US Commission No. POCE000034
Alternate name: Radomsk (Yiddish), Hobo-Pagauckz, Novoradomsk (Russian). Radomsko is located in Piotrkow at 51º04 19º27, Radomsko is 44 km. from Piotrkow; 35 km. from Czestrochowa; 91 km. from Lodz. The cemetery is located at Swicrczewskiego Str. 196 (former Przedborska Str.). Present population is 25,000-100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
1939 Jewish population was 15,000. The privilege was granted in 17th century. The unlandmarked Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established in 1830. Buried here were Szlomo Rabinowicz, d. 1866; Abraham Rabinowicz, d. 1892; and Ezechiel Rabinowicz, d.1910. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. A continuous masonry wall with locking gate surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 2.5415 hectares. The cemetery has no special sections. Stones date from 1831 to 20th century. The limestone, sandstone and iron flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves (a few). The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims and marked mass graves. Within the limits is an ohel. The national Jewish community owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries have not changed since 1939. Jewish individuals and groups abroad re-ereced stones, patched broken stones, cleared vegetation, and fixed wall and gate. The Jewish congregation pays the regular caretaker. Slight threat: vegetation.
Jan Pawet Woronczak, ul. Sandomierska 21 m.1; 02-567 Warszawa; tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on 6 Sep 1991. The site was not visited.
|Last Updated on Monday, 29 June 2009 16:57|