|PRZYTYK: Mazowieckie [Pshitik, Pshityk, Pshitikhl]|
Alternate names: Przytyk [Pol], Pshitik, פשיטיק [Yid], Pshityk, Пшитык [Rus], Pshitikhl. 51°28' N, 20°54' E, 11 miles WNW of Radom. 1900 Jewish population: 1,504. Yizkor: Sefer Przytyk, (Tel Aviv, 1973). Gmina Przytyk is a rural administrative district in Radom powiat, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland with its seat is the village of Przytyk, 20 km (12 mi) W of Radom and 84 km (52 mi) S of Warsaw. The gmina 2006 population was 7,067. Gmina Przytyk contains the villages and settlements of Dęba, Domaniów, Duży Las, Gaczkowice, Glinice, Goszczewice, Jabłonna, Jadwinów, Jagodno, Kaszewska Wola, Kolonia Zameczek, Krzyszkowice, Maksymilianów, Młódnice, Mścichów, Oblas, Oblas-Leśniczówka, Ostrołęka, Podgajek, Posada, Potkanna, Przytyk, Sewerynów, Słowików, Stary Młyn, Stefanów, Studzienice, Suków, Sukowska Wola, Witoldów, Wola Wrzeszczowska, Wólka Domaniowska, Wrzeszczów, Wrzos, Wygnanów, Zameczek, Żerdź and Żmijków. Town website with history. The Przytyk Pogrom. Legend has it that Casimir the Great imprisoned Jews here to obtain a supplier of honey for the royal tables. The first documentation of Jewish presence comes only from the second half of 17th century, but in 1827, 1,060 Jews (86.2%) grew only to 1,205 in 1921 (89.5%) as a result of the bad economy after WWI and immigration to America. During the March 9, 1936 Fair, riots damaged Jewish shops and homes as the Jewish self-defense force responded with fire. Many Jews were beaten, two killed, and Poles wounded. On March 5, 1941, about 3,500 Jews including locals and many from other cities were moved elsewhere due to Nazi military authority.
Przytyk is in Radomskie province at 51º38N 20º57E, 17 km from Radom. Present population is 1000-5000 with no Jews. The cemetery is not far from main road to Radom.
The Jewish community and Orthdox and Conservative cemetery were established about 1676. 1921 Jewish population was 1205 (89.5%). A significant event was "Przytyk Pogrom". The last known Jewish burial was in 1942. Landmark: regional monument through region Konserwa tor Zabytkow w Radomni /V.11/. The isolated wooded flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning off the public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. Before WWII the size was 1.0 ha and now is.5 ha. 1-20 sandstone flat shaped, finely smoothed and inscribed stone, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or double tombstones, in original locations and less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1770-20th century. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and/or Yiddish. No known mass graves or structures. A national government site now owns site used for grazing land and playground. The size of the site has been reduced as a result of agriculture. Occasionally, private Jewish visitors and local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during WorldWar II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance. Vandalism is a very serious threat. Moderate threats include uncontrolled access, weather erosion, vegetation disturbing stones, incompatible development but most seriously, vandalism. The cemetery was vandalized frequently, according to local residents, but records of the incidents were not kept.
Adam Penkalla, deceased, completed survey 12 August, 1991 after a site visit. Documentation: A. Penkalla, "Cmentarz zydowski w Przytyk, Biuletyn Zydow skiego Histytntn Historyycznego w Poisce", 1-2 (1984), 175-182.
[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [April 2016]
|Last Updated on Monday, 04 April 2016 21:12|