Alternate names: Przysucha [Pol], Pshischa, פרשיסחא [Yid], Пшисуха [Rus], Pshesukha, Pshiskha, Pshisukha. 51°22' N, 20°37' E, 37 miles N of Kielce, 23 miles W of Radom. 1900 Jewish population: 2,168. Przysucha powiat is a unit of territorial administration and local government in Masovian Voivodeship, east-central Poland since January 1, 1999 with its administrative seat and only town is Przysucha, 98 km (61 mi) S of Warsaw. The 2006 total population is 43,822 with 6,245 in Przysucha. Normal 0 Jewish settlement began in the 18th century when craftsmen were invited to stimulate the economy. As early as 1777, the Jews were 55% of all residents. By 1827 Jews were 74.2%. The town became a Chassidic center. Before the outbreak of WWII, about 2,500 Jews remained but Nazis ghetto held 5,000 including Jews from nearby towns and even Plock. Most died at Treblinka. The synagogue from 1777 survived with the bima, niche and traces of polychrome on the walls. The old cemetery on ul Wiejskiej dating possibly from 1723 was fenced and planted with a willow wall with densely placed gravestones. Now, just the willows are dense. During WWII, the cemetery was almost completely destroyed by the Nazis, who used the gravestones for paving materials such as near the store on the current Constitution 3 May Square. Under the PRL, municipality authorities left the cemetery to oblivion. In the early 1980s, New York rabbi Nachum Elbaumem with other Jews arrived in Przysuch. Rabbi Elbaum commissioned construction of a new ohel. Despite subsequent financial disagreements with the principals, Jan Werenc became the unofficial guardian of the Jewish cemetery in Przysusze. In the cemetery are fragments of destroyed gravestones, the oldest from 1771. Many Chassids visit three ohels here. Ohels of Tzaddiks: Jakub called the Saint Jew (died 1813), Symche Bunem (died 1823) and those of their offspring. A single ohel protects the tomb of Abraham Przysuchy from 1806. Other Chassidic rabbis are buried here. [June 2009]
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 60-61
synagogue sketch. [August 2005]
US Commission No. POCE00083
Alternate name: Psischa or Parshischa in Yiddish. Przysucha is located in Radomskie province at 51º22N 20º38E, 36 km from Radom, 116 km from Todz. The cemetery is on Wiejska St. Present town population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.
The earliest known community was 1713 or 1745. 1921 Jewish population by census was 2153 (66.5%). Living here were Symdie Bunen and Jakub Icchak. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was 1942. Landmark: Wojewodski Konservator Sabytkow w. Radomin /v.11/. The isolated urban flat land has a sign in Hebrew mentioning Jews and famous individuals buried in cemetery, inscriptions in Hebrew on the gate or wall and preburial house, and Star of David on the gate or wall. It. Reached by turning directly off the road, a continuous masonry wall with locking gate entirely closes the cemetery. The cemetery before WWII and now is about 1.30 hectare. 20-100 gravestones, 1-20 in the original locations with 25-50% broken or toppled, date from 1771-20th century. Many were incorporated into the police station. The limestone or sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed or flat with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. No known mass graves. Municipality owns site used only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Frequently, many groups and individuals visit. The site was vandalized during World War II but not in the last ten years. Jewish groups from the USA re-erected stones, clearedvegetation, fixed wall and gate in 1988-89. The Jewish Congregation of Warszawa pays the regular caretaker. There is more than one ohel in the cemetery. Weather erosion is a mild threat.
Adam Penkalla, deceased, completed survey August 11, 1991 and visited site. He may have more information from his own documentation.
[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [April 2016]
|Last Updated on Monday, 04 April 2016 21:11|