You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland PRUCHNIK: Podkarpackie
PRUCHNIK: Podkarpackie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Gmina PruchnikAlternate names: Pruchnik [Pol, Yid], Pruchnik-Miasto,פּרוחניק [Yid]. 49°55' N, 22°31' E, 15 miles NW of Przemyśl (Pshemishl), 25 miles ESE of Rzeszów (Zheshuv). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IX, p. 70: "Pruchnik" #1. Gmina Pruchnik is a rural administrative district in Jarosław powiat, Subcarpathian Voivodeship in south-eastern Poland with its seat is the village of Pruchnik, 17 km (11 mi) SW of Jarosław and 39 km (24 mi) E of the regional capital Rzeszów.The gmina 2006 total population was 9,551. [June 2009]

Jews were first documented in Pruchnik in 1563, although some probably lived here earlier. Initially, a small community, in 1785, 200 Jews lived in the village and about 1880 almost 600. The kahał was founded around 1785 with full social institutions and a synagogue with silver torah fittings, prayer houses, and mikvah for its 716 Jews. 1888 total population was 1,503. In 1900, about 800 Jews lived with a difficult economic and political situation leading to immigration to Vienna, Berlin, and America. In 1918, the village had anti-Semitic riots with the peasants plundering Jewish businesses. Police intervention killed one rioter. In 1921, the 877 Jews were 51.7% of inhabitants. During WW II, the Nazi-created ghetto for the local Jewish population and from other cities. Most later were transferred to Birczy ghetto; and some died in Wólce Pełkińskiej. Dozens of people shot on fields near Pruchnik. [June 2009]

CEMETERY:

Located outside the village on the road to Hawłowic, the date of establishment is uncertain, but probably the 1th century. Some residents recall the location closer to the road to Rozbórz. In 1638, Pruchnik Jews were buried in Przemysl.

In 1939, a hedge surrounded the cemetery with gravestones dating from the late 17th century. The Nazis plowed under the cemetery and used the gravestones to pave roads. No gravestones remain, only two cherry trees. In the nearby woods, purportedly and unproven, was an even older Jewish cemetery with matzevot from the 15th century. map. photo of site.. [June 2009]

website with photo. {Nov 2014]

MASS GRAVE: During World War II the cemetery was a place of execution of many Jews. In 1969, the memorial of victims of the Holocaust was erected near the Catholic cemetery. The inscription reads: "On these fields in 1942-1943, Nazi criminals murdered Jews. Part of their memory! Pruchnik - September 1969". Pruchnik website. [June 2009]

 

 

Last Updated on Sunday, 23 November 2014 18:07
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution