You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland PNIEWY: Wielkopolskie
PNIEWY: Wielkopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Gmina Pniewy Alternate names: Pniewy [Pol], Pinne [Ger]. 52°31' N, 16°16' E, 30 miles WNW of Poznań (Posen). Jewish population: 707 (in 1837), 225 (in 1910). Gmina Pniewy is an urban-rural administrative district in Szamotuły powiat, Greater Poland Voivodeship in west-central Poland with its seat in the town of Pniewy, 24 km (15 mi) SW of Szamotuły and 46 km (29 mi) W of the regional capital Poznań. The gmina 2006 total population is 11,905 (town Pniewy: 7,464). Apart from the town of Pniewy, Gmina Pniewy contains the villages and settlements of Berdychowo, Buszewko, Buszewo, Chełmno, Dąbrowa, Dębina, Dęborzyce, Jakubowo, Karmin, Kikowo, Konin, Konin-Huby, Koninek, Koszanowo, Lubocześnica, Lubosina, Nojewo, Nosalewo, Orliczko, Podborowo, Podpniewki, Przystanki, Psarce, Psarskie, Rudka, Szymanowo, Turowo, Zajączkowo and Zamorze. The former synagogue remains with the recess for the aron ha-kodesh still visible. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000441

(Alternate name: Pinne in German) Pniewy is located in the Pornanskie region at 52º3116º16, 50 km from Poznania. The cemetery is located around 1.5 km S from the town at 22 Stizelecka Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Miasta I Gminy, ul. Dworcowa 37, tel. 150.
  • Regional: region Konserwator Zabytkow, 61-716 Poznan, ul. Kosciuszki 93, tel. 696464.
  • Interested: Karol Nowak, Puiewy, ul. Aneleckz 22, and Tadeusz Wisniewski, prezes Tow. Spoi. Kulturalnego w Pinewach, ul. Migdzychodzka, tel. ?? 169, dom. 168. [almost impossible to read-AS]

1921 Jewish population was 100, 3.6%. The Jewish cemetery was about 1.5 km away from the Conservative congregation. The isolated suburban crown of a hill has no sign or marker, no wall, gate, or fence. Reached by crossing through a forest, access is open to all. No gravestones are visible. The removed stones were used as the foundations of barracks. The municipality owns site used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are residential. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose the same area. It is visited rarely and without maintenance. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II. Within the limits of the cemetery are a pre-burial house and the former cemetery guard's house. Very serious threat to the pre-burial house turned into a verandah. Vegetation is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Vandalism is also a very serious threat.

Pwiewski Stascomi, Poznan, ul. Prybyszevoskiego ?, who visited the cemetery in 1990 and survey completed survey in August 1991. A 1940 German map was used. Karol Nowak, Puiewy, ul. Aneleckz 22, and Tadeusz Wisniewski, ul. Migdzychodzka were interviewed.

Last Updated on Thursday, 25 June 2009 11:16
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution