Alternate names: Płońsk [Pol], Plonsk [Rus, Yid], פּלונסק [Yid] Плонск [Rus], Plöhnen [Ger], Plintsk, Plon. 52°38' N, 20°23' E, 29 miles E of Płock, 20 miles SSW of Ciechanów. 1900 Jewish population: 4,447. Yizkor: Sefer Plonsk ve-ha-seviva (Tel Aviv, 1963). ShtetLink. [June 2009]
Płońsk powiat is a unit of territorial administration and local government in Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland since January 1, 1999 with its administrative seat and largest town in Płońsk, 63 km (39 mi) NW of Warsaw. The only other town in the county is Raciąż, 25 km (16 mi) NW of Płońsk. The 2006 powiat population was 87,430 with the Płońsk population at 22,233, Raciąż at 4,752. [June 2009]
City of Plonsk. David Ben-Gurion - the first Prime Minister of Israel, was born in Płońsk on October 16, 1886. Cemetery photos. Established in the 18th century, the 3.30 hectare cemetery was vandalized by the Nazis during WWII. No mass graves exist, but only three matzeivot are visible. A special small monument honors Plonsk Jewish residents ,who perished during the Holocaust. In 1984, local authorities restored the cementery by cleaning and clearing the cemetery on Warszawska Street, but he city authorized use of the cemetery for industrial and commercial purposes. Normal 0 CEMETERY: The Jewish Cemetery in Plonsk was first documented in 1525 when King Sigismund I ordered the Jews to acquire land from him to legitimize cemeteries illegally purchased from townsmen; that cemetery location is unknown. In 1670, Plonsk Jews received permission to establish the cemetery on current ul. Warszawskiej, Warsaw University of Technology. In 1942, the Nazis ordered destruction of this 3-hectare + cemetery surrounded by a wall, using the gravestones to construct roads. Prewar photos and painting by Joseph Budko www.bagnowka.com. The postwar PRL government built the Polmozbytu station on the devastated cemetery. In the 1980s, a lapidarium was built on that cemetery site, designed by Anna Szalast. In front of the monument are three gravestones inscribed "The 3300 square meters area is a preserved piece of the old Jewish cemetery, founded in 1670. The stone speaks for all those resting at this cemetery and all the murdered Jews, residents Płońska. Nissenbaum Family Foundation." The ceremonial unveiling of the monument took place on May 8,1983 in the neat and orderly space. photos. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000378
Alternate name: Plonnen (German). Plonsk is located in Ciechanow at 52º38 20º23, 34km from Ciechanow. The cemetery is located at Warszawska St.Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community in Plonsk was 1446. 1931 Jewish population (census) was 4913. Living here were Dawid Ben Gurion and Rabbis Abraham Lichtenstein, Zewi Ezechiel Michelson, and Abraham Chaim Horowitz. The Orthodox, Sephardic Orthodox, Conservative, and Progressive/Reform cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Jewish burial 1955. The isolated suburban flat land has a sign in Polish that mentions Jews. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, gate, or fence surrounds. The approximate size of before WWII was 3.30 hectares; it is now 0.50 hectares. The decrease in size is a result of commercial or industrial development. No gravestones are visible. The cemetery contains a special monument to Holocaust victims. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used as a Jewish cemetery and for industrial or commercial use. Private visitors and local residents occasionally visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. In 1984, local authorities restored the cemetery. They also occasionally clear or clean the cemetery. In the 1970's, a 'Polmozbyt' was built within the cemetery's boundaries.
Wojcieck Henrykowski, ul. Spoldzielcza 20, 06-200 Makow Mazowiecki completed survey on 03/10/1991. He visited in September 1991. The employees of the communal office in Plonsk were interviewed in September 1991.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 25 June 2009 10:54|