Alternate names: Piszczac [Pol], Pishtzatz [Yid], Pishchats. 51°58' N, 23°23' E, 16 miles SW of Brest, 12 miles ESE of Biała Podlaska. 1900 Jewish population: about 400. Gmina Piszczac is a rural administrative district in Biała Podlaska powiat Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland with iints seat in the village of Piszczac, 20 km (12 mi) E of Biała Podlaska and 98 km (61 mi) NE of the regional capital Lublin. The gmina 2006 total population was 7,554. [June 2009]
Normal 0 Piszczac village, a former royal town, lost its city rights in 1869. In 1909, of the 2,600 village population, 40% were Jews. The 19th century cemetery located on ul Terespolskiej with the gate on ul. Sportowej is on the right side going toward Terespol. A solid metal fence surrounds the 0.58-hectare site without a one gravestone. The area is planted with trees. photos. [June 2009]
PISZCZAC: US Commission No. POCE000392
Piszczac is located in Biala-Podlaska at 51º58 23º23, 101km NNE of Lublina. The cemetery is located at Terspolska St. near Spoztowa St. Present population is 1,000-5,000.
The Orthodox Jewish population (census) before World War II was 500. The isolated urban flat land has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. In order to enter the cemetery, a key is needed from Urzad Gminy, Mr. Jan Kurowski, (head of the village), ul. Wlodawaska 8, 21-530 Piszczac, tel. 18. The cemetery is surrounded by a continuous fence with locking gate. No gravestones are visible. A regional or national governmental agency owns site. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. In 1986, the local authorities erected a fence and gate and occasionally clean or clear.
Michal Witwicki, ul. Dembowskiego 12/53, 02-784 Warszawa, tel: 6418345 completed survey on 02/08/1991.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 June 2009 20:23|