Alternate names: Pisz, Janowa Gora, Johannisburg. 53°38' N 21°48' E, 101.1 miles NNE of Warszawa. Gmina Pisz is an urban-rural administrative district) in Pisz powiat, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship in northern Poland with its seat in the town of Pisz, 88 km (55 mi) E of the regional capital Olsztyn. The gmina 2006 total population is 27,224 (out of which the population of Pisz amounts to 19,332. The cemetery is on ul Parkowa. [June 2009]
US Commission No AS 173
Alternate name: Johannisburg. Piszis located at 53º 37 N and 21º 48 E in region Suwalskie, 105 km from Olsztyn. The cemetery is located ul. Parkowa. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was first half of the 19th century. In 1843, there were 148 Jews with 115 Jews in 1925. The unlandmarked cemetery was established before 1850. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all no fence or gate. Before WWI and now the size of the cemetery was.04 ha. 1-20 stones visible in original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken date from the 20th century. The granite, finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. No known mass graves. No structures. The municipality owns the property used for a cemetery only. Adjacent property is residential. Private visitors occasionally visit. It was not vandalized during the last ten years. No maintenance. Occasionally, authorities clean.
Vegetation is a serious threat with overgrowth of bushes and grass disturbing the graves. dr. Janusz Mackiewicz, 16-400 Suwalki ul.1 Maja 27a/47, tel. d.663756, tel. sl. 663741 completed survey on September 27, 1994.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 June 2009 20:10|