|PIOTRKOW TRYBUNALSKI: łódzkie|
Alternate names: Piotrków Trybunalski [Pol], Petrikev, פּיעטרקאוו טריבונאלסקי [Yid], Petrokov, Пётркув-Трыбунальски, Петроковъ [Rus], Petrikau [Ger], Petrikov, Petrokow, Piotrków, Piotrkuv, Pyetrkuv, Trybunalski. 51°24' N, 19°41' E, 26 miles SSE of Łódź. Jewish population: 9,370 (in 1897), 11,400 (in 1931. Yizkors: Piotrkow Trybunalski ve-ha-seviva (Tel Aviv, 1965); A tale of one city: Piotrkow Trybunalski (New York, 1991); Sefer edout (Israel, 1943); Pyetrkov Tribunalski un umgegent; yizkor-bukh in ondenk (, ). ShtetLink. JOWBR burial list: Piotrkow-Tribunalsky. Piotrków Trybunalski is a city in central Poland with 80,738 inhabitants in 2005 in the Łódź Voivodeship (since 1999) and previously was the capital of Piotrków Voivodeship (1975-1998) and is the capital of Piotrków powiat. [June 2009]
Old Cemetery: The cemetery located at the synagogue in the current ul. Wojska Polskiego was established in 1689 and functioned until the end of the 18th century. No matzevot remain. A 1997 Holocaust memorial exists. [June 2009]
New Cemetery: Located at ul. Spacerowa 93, the 13-hectare new cemetery was established in 1791-1792. Even with all the damage done, between 1,000 and 3,000 gravestones show the arresting artistry and inscriptions in Hebrew, German, Russian and Polish. Saul and Robert Dessau rebuilt the ohel of tzaddik Chaim David Bernhard (1758-1858)). The cemetery also contains mass graves of Holocaust victims. Ghetto information. Photos. Photos. [June 2009]
Piotrkow Trybunalski (I) US Commission No. POCE000666
Piotrkow Trybunalski is located in Piotrkow Tryb at 51º24 19º41, 42 km SSE of Lodz; 120 km from Warszawa. The cemetery is located at Wojska Polskiego Str. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with under 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community in this town was about 1660. 1921 Jewish population was 11,630. The unlandmarked Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established in 1677 (the old cemetery). The last known Jewish burial was in 1792. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, gate, or fence surrounds the cemetery. There are no stones, no known mass graves, and no structures. The municipality owns property used for recreation (park, playground, and sports field). Properties adjacent are residential. Frequently, local residents visit park. No maintenance.
Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21 m. 1, 02-567 Warszawa; tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on 29 Dec 1991. The site was not visited.
PIOTRKOW TRYBUNALSKI: II US Commission No. POCE000667 and 0000037
See Piotrkow Trybunalski I for town information. The cemetery is located at Spacerowa Str. 93.
The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established in 1794. The cemetery location is isolated suburban flat land has inscriptions in Hebrew on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. A continuous masonry wall with locking gate surrounds the cemetery. 500-5000 stones, most in original location, date from 1795-20th century. The marble and sandstone flat shaped stones finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew, Yiddish, Polish, German and Russian inscriptions. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery is more than one ohel. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent to it are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries have not changed since 1939. The cemetery is visited occasionally by private visitors. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. Moderate threat: pollution and vegetation. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and vandalism. Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska str. 21 m.1 02-567 Warszawa; tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on 2 Oct 1991. Documentation: Documentation at local Monuments Conservation Authority (Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow). The site was not visited. Interviews were conducted but no names given.
BOOK: Author: Giladi, Ben. Title: A Tale of One City: Piotrkow Trybunalski scrapbook. Description: 1.5 in. Notes: ...a scrapbook compiled by Ben Giladi in Jan 1992. The 41-page scrapbook contains materials (e.g., photographs, maps, document copies) relating to Jewish life in Piotrkow Trybunalski, Poland, before World War II and the tragedy of the Holocaust as it affected Jewish residents. Possibly protected under copyright. Standard citation for US Holocaust Research Institute Archives. Pulled for catalog 20 Feb 1993. Control No.: DCHY436-A [December 2000]
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 60
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 June 2009 19:57|