Alternate names: Piątek [Pol], Piontka, פיונטק [Yid], Piontek. Пёнтек [Rus]. Russian: Пёнтек. 52°04' N, 19°29' E, 22 miles N of Łódź, 13 miles SSE of Kutno. 1900 Jewish population: 1,090. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VIII, pp. 63-64: "Piątek" #1. Gmina Piątek is a rural administrative district in Łęczyca powiat, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland with its seat is the village of Piątek, 20 km (12 mi) E of Łęczyca and 32 km (20 mi) N of the regional capital Łódź. Gmina Piątek contains the villages and settlements of Balków, Bielice, Boguszyce, Borowiec, Broników, Czerników, Górki Łubnickie, Górki Pęcławskie, Goślub, Goślub-Osada, Janków, Janówek, Janowice, Jasionna, Konarzew, Krzyszkowice, Łęka, Leżajna, Łubnica, Mchowice, Michałówka, Młynów, Mysłówka, Orądki, Orenice, Pęcławice, Piątek, Piekary, Pokrzywnica, Rogaszyn, Śladków Podleśny, Śladków Rozlazły, Stare Piaski, Sułkowice Drugie, Sułkowice Pierwsze, Sypin, Witów, Włostowice, Włostowice-Parcele and Żabokrzeki. The gmina 2006 total population was 6,574. [June 2009]
CEMETERY Located by the road to Pokrzywniki, the 0.80 ha cemetery was established in 18th century. Some visible traces of matzevot remained, but reportedly in 2009, none were visible in the intense vegetation. photo. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000623
Alternate name: Piontke in Yiddish. Piatek is located at 52º04 19º29 in region Plockie, 35 km from Lodz and and 105 from Warszawa. The old cemetery is located at Ulica Pokrzywnicka. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1765. 1921 Orthodox Jewish population was 1291. The cemetery probably was established during the first half of the 18th century. In 1796, the Prussian government took over the town. Landmarked: on the official register of Jewish cemeteries of 1981. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all with no fence or gate. The approximate size before WWII and now is.8 ha. There are 1 to 20 stones visible all not in original locations. Less than 25% are toppled or broken. There are no dates on the broken fragments of sandstone and concrete, flat shaped stones or multi-stone monuments. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for agriculture. Adjacent property is residential and agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. There are no structures. Vegetation is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Security, vegetation, and vandalism are slight threats.
Pawel Figalkowski 96-500, Sochaczew, Ulica Ziemowita 11, Tel. 227-91 completed survey on Nov. 9, 1991 and visited the site in April.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 June 2009 12:19|