PIASKI WIELKOPOLSKIE: US Commission No. POCE000319
Alternate name: Sandberg in German. Piaski Wielkopolskie is located at 51º53 E 17º05 in region Leszczynskie, 35 km from Lesano, (or Leszno?) 86 from Poznan, and 100 km from Kalisz. The cemetery is located at ul. Slowackiego. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1788. 1921 Jewish population was 1 (.1%). The unlandmarked Conservative and Progressive/Reform cemetery was established during the late 18th century with last known Jewish burial around 1924. Living here were Luis Pawel, Szolem Salomon, Josef Hirsch, Michael Mozes Perlinski, Hersch Chaim Jakubowski, and Leib Wolff. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate, but the new users fenced it. The approximate size before WWII was.16 ha. and has residential buildings. No stones are visible. A private individual owns site used for residential buildings. Adjacent property is residential. The area is smaller than 1939. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. Security is very serious threat. The site was completely devastated because of its conversion to single family housing.
- Local: Wojt: Zemon Norman, Lipie 2, 63-813 Szelejewo; tel. 19194 and Urzad Gminy w Piaskach, Wielkopoliskich, ul 6 Stycznia, 63-820 Piaski Wlkp.; tel. 19-030; tel. 122.
- Regional: Ewa Piesiewicz, Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow w. Lwsznie, ul Mickiewicza 5.tel. 20-63-83
Dariusz Cawojdrak, ul. Lipowa 22d/4, 67,400 Wschowa completed survey on Nov. 15, 1991 after a visit Nov. 14. Leon Lekowski was interviewed Nov. 14 in Piaski Wlkp.