PIASECZNO: Masovia Print
Coat of arms of Piaseczno

15 places in Poland are named 'Piaseczno'. This one is now a suburb of Warsaw. Alternate names: Piaseczno [Pol], Piasetchna, פיאסיצ'נה [Yid], Pyasechno, Пясечно [Rus]. 52°05' N, 21°02' E. 1900 Jewish population: 1,106. Piaseczno powiat is a unit of territorial administration and local government in Masovian Voivodeship, east-central Poland since 1999, Its administrative seat and largest town is Piaseczno. The county contains three other towns: Konstancin-Jeziorna, 8 km (5 mi) E of Piaseczno, Góra Kalwaria, 18 km (11 mi) SE of Piaseczno, and Tarczyn, 16 km (10 mi) NW of Piaseczno. The county 2006 total population is 145,276, out of which the population of Piaseczno-37,508, Konstancin-Jeziorna-16,579, Góra Kalwaria-11,130, Tarczyn-3,886, and the rural population-76,173. [June 2009]

Piaseczno was closed to Jewish settlement when Augustus III granted the privilegeto townsmen that the Jews in Piaseczno could not own or reside in the city or have a trade or have a taproom, inn, or tavern to the detriment of the townspeople. Apparently ignored since settlement of Jews was significant when the kahał formed 1797 that did not exist after 1821. 1862 brought about abolition of restrictions on Jewish settlement in areas of the Polish Kingdom at that time, the first synagogue was built. After the fire in 1886, the Jews built a new synagogue. In 1897, the total population 2,760 including 41.5% Catholic, 40% Jews and 17.9% of Protestants. During WW II, the ghetto enclosed Świętojańska, Jerusalem, Topolowa, Czajewicza ,and Krótką streets. In February 1941, the inmates were deported to the ghetto in a nearby Warsaw. A few escaped and survived. The mikvah survives today, but just an empty square remains next to the synagogue that the authorities demolished in 1978. A student produced website about the former Jewish population.  [June 2009]

CEMETERY: Prior to establishment of the fenced, unlocked cemetery in the second half of the 19th century on current ul. Tuwima, the Jews were buried in Piaseczno Nadarzyn. Today, more than thirty gravestones or their fragments are visible. After the war, a monument erected at the cemetery commemorates over six hundred Polish citizens, both Polish and Jewish, murdered here. The cemetery well maintained. photos. [June 2009]

Last Updated on Thursday, 11 February 2010 13:17