52°48' N 18°06' E, 127.6 miles WNW of Warszawa. This town with 5,798 inhabitants in 2004 is the seat of Gmina Pakość, an urban-rural administrative district in Inowrocław County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship in north-central Poland. The town of Pakość is 13 km (8 mi) W of Inowrocław, 36 km (22 mi) S of Bydgoszcz, and 44 km (27 mi) SW of Toruń. Gmina Pakość is bordered by the gminas of Barcin, Dąbrowa, Inowrocław, Janikowo and Złotniki Kujawskie. The Jewish cemetery in Pakosc was located on Garbuzy St., an area now completely built over. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000605
Pakosc is located in Bydgoskie region at 52º48 18º05, 11 km from Inowroclaw. The cemetery is located on Mogilenska Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1519. 1939 Jewish population was 28. In the 17th century, Czarniecki's army killed all the Jews in Pakosc. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker, no wall, gate, or fence. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of the cemetery before W.W.II was about 0.3 hectares; it is the same size now. No gravestones are visible. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Municipality owns site used for recreation purposes. Properties adjacent are recreational and residential. It is rarely visited. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II. No maintenance. There are slight security, weather erosion, and vegetation threats.
Magdalena Grabowska, Bydgoszcz ul. Sanatoryjna 40, tel. 277335 completed survey on October 30, 1992. The site was not visited. The Monograph of Pakosc was documentation.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 June 2009 20:04|