Alternate names: Ozorków, Ozarkov, Ozorkov. 51°58' N, 19°17' E. Yizkor: Ozorkow, (Jerusalem, 1966). This town in Łódź Voivodeship (since 1999), having previously been in Gmina Ozorków in Łódź Metro Voivodeship (1975-1998) in central Poland on the Bzura River with 20,731. inhabitants in 2004. Gmina Ozorków contains the villages and settlements of Aleksandria, Boczki, Borszyn, Cedrowice, Cedrowice-Parcela, Celestynów, Czerchów, Dybówka, Helenów, Katarzynów, Konary, Leśmierz, Małachowice, Małachowice-Kolonia, Maszkowice, Modlna, Muchówka, Opalanki, Ostrów, Parzyce, Pełczyska, Sierpów, Skotniki, Skromnica, Śliwniki, Sokolniki, Sokolniki-Las, Sokolniki-Parcela, Solca Mała, Solca Wielka, Tkaczew, Tymienica and Wróblew. photos. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE00056
Ozorkow is located in region Lodzkie region at 51.581917, 25 km from Lodz. The cemetery is located on Sosnowa Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community in Ozorkow was 1819. 1921 Jewish population was 4,949 persons. Salomon Winter was the president of the town before 1939. The Orthodox and Conservative Jewish cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century. The last known Jewish burial was 1939-1945. This cemetery is listed in the official 1981 Register of Jewish Cemeteries. The suburban crown of a hill, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of the cemetery prior to W.W.II was 2.5 hectares; its present size is the same. 20-100 pieces of gravestones, with none in their original location and less than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 19th-20th centuries. The sandstone flat shaped stones with carved relief decorations have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used solely as a Jewish cemetery. The adjacent properties are agricultural. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose the same area. Occasionally, private Jewish and non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II and also around 1970. No maintenance. There are slight vegetation and vandalism threats.
Pawel Fijalkowski, 96-500, Sochaczew, ul. Ziemowita 11, tel. 227-91 visited site in June 1990 and completed survey on November 9, 1991. Documentation: photos in the possession of the surveyor and archives.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 June 2009 17:32|