|OSTROW WIELKOPOLSKI: Wielkopolski|
Alternate names: Ostrów Wielkopolski [Pol], Ostrowo [Ger], Ostrów, Ostrov, Ostrów Wlkp., Ostrovia [Lat]. 51°39' N, 17°49' E, 64 miles SE of Poznań (Posen), 13 miles SW of Kalisz. ShtetLink: . Abbreviated Ostrów Wlkp., this town in central Poland with 72,360 inhabitants in 2008 in the Greater Poland Voivodeship and the seat of Ostrów Wielkopolski powiat is one of the most important railroad junctions in Poland.
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 77
OLD CEMETERY: Established in 1724 at the corner of current ul. Starotargowej) and Freimann Freimanna (now Placu 23 Stycznia) near the synagogue, a low wall with a gate on the north side surrounded the site. Probably for health reasons in 1780, the city stopped burials here. town information. [High school project. June 2009]NEW CEMETERY: A new cemetery on land 1 morgi [size] eventually enlarged to 2.8 hectares on Placu 23 Stycznia at ul. Konopnickiej and ul Slowacki. Further land purchases came in 1824 and 1905. Fenced on one side with an impressive and decorative iron fence between pillars with the other three sides having a brick wall. In 1873, the tahara was added. The Nazis destroyed both cemeteries removing matzevot for construction work like paving streets or constructing the fence at Placu 23 Stycznia. After WWII, the site was used for horticulture and eventually a park. In the 1970s ,the City Greenery Department built a Schools Team Building. A 2006 renovation of Placu 23 Stycznia revealed many gravestones and more than 1,000 fragments. The discovered matzevot are to become two lapidaria in the local Jewish cemeteries. photos. [June 2009]
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 June 2009 03:02|