|OSTROW MAZOWIECKA: Mazovia|
Alternate names: Ostrów Mazowiecka [Pol], Ostrov-Mazovyetsk [Yid], Ostrova, אסטראוו-מאזאוויעצק [Yid], Острув-Мазовецка [Rus], Ostrów, Ostrov Mazovyetska, Ostrov-Mazovetskiy, Ostrów Mazowiecki. 52°48' N, 21°54' E, 28 miles SSW of Łomża. 1900 Jewish population: 5,960. Yizkors: Ostrow Mazowiecka (Jerusalem-Tel Aviv, 1966) and Sefer ha-zikaron le-kehilat Ostrov-Mazovyetsk (Tel Aviv, 1960). This town in northeastern Poland with 23,486 inhabitants in 2004 is a powiat, unit of territorial administration and local government, in the Masovian Voivodeship since 1999, previously in Ostroleka Voivodeship (1975-1998) is the capital of Ostrów Mazowiecka powiat. During WWII, when a fire broke out in the town, the Jews were blamed, and all remaining in the town, 600 men, women and children, were taken to the outskirts and murdered. cemetery map. genetic connection. [June 2009]
Jewish settlement in Ostrów Mazowiecka documentation shows that in 1765 twenty Jewish families lived in fifteen houses with six nearby villages inhabited by 45 Jews. The number rose to 75 in 1790. In 1795 Jews, the kahal formed. Despite 1789 legal restrictions on Jewish settlements in the city, the number of Jews gradually increased with Jews from the countryside. In 1808, 809 Jews increased in 1857 to 2,412 (60.7%), most from Lithuania and center of Poland. Some were made financial loans while others sold grain and milled wood or supplied the Russian garrison. However, many Jews lived in poverty prompting the formation of charitable association and Bikur Cholim in 1887. Chasidism gained popularity. WWI and the economic crisis encouraged immigration and increased anti-Semitism especially following after the death of J. Pilsudski. 4,928 Jews lived there in 1893 and in 1921, 6812. German troops occupied Ostrow Mazowiecka in early September 1939 and immediately began persecution of local Jews with executions and arrests, confiscating houses and shops belonging to Jews. They vandalized the synagoguecut the rabbi's beard rabbi and sent him to wash the Germans' feet. In the night, naked women were forced to do gymnastics with the Nazis, old people dragging their baggage with little food, women and men striped naked were searched for gold. Some escaped to Białystok, where the Russians deported them into the depths of the Soviet Union for "socialist rehabilitation." The rest of the Ostrów Mazowiecka Jews, mostly the elderly and women with children, were murdered on November 11, 1939 in the mass execution in a nearby forest, from 560 to 800 people. [June 2009]
OLD CEMETERY: Established between today's Broniewskiego and the Exhibition Center, the cemetery was established either the end of 17th century or during the 18th century at the same time as the local religious community. As a result of damage from WWII and during the PRL, no gravestones remain and the land allocated to other uses. Filled in the early 20th century, the Jews of Ostrów Mazowiecka brought a new cemetery. [June 2009]
NEW CEMETERY: In the south of the city on about two hectares near the triangle-shaped, current ul. Wołodyjowskiego near the intersection of ul. Piaskową. The cemetery was almost completely destroyed with the area overtime becoming forest under which gravestones and fragments lie among pine needles. From archival photographs, the cemetery had many polychrome matzevot so characteristic of Jewish cemeteries in the area. Recently a few matzevot were found. Photos [June 2009]
OSTROW MAZOWIECKA I: US Commission No. POCE000044
Alternate name: 18th Century-Ostrawia; beginning of 20th century-Ostrow Komzynski. Ostrow Mazowiecka is located in Ostroleckie region at 52º48 21º54, 37 km from Wyjzkow, 31 km from Zambrow, 41 km from Ostroleka, and 95 km from Warszawa. The cemetery is located on Wokodyjowskiego Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 18th Century. 1921 Jewish population was 6,812. The Orthodox, Conservative and Progressive /Reform Jewish cemetery was established at the beginning of the 20th century with last known Jewish burial 1939-1940. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of the cemetery before W.W.II and now is 2.0 hectares. 1 to 20 sandstone and concrete flat stones with carved relief decorations, in original position with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 20th century. One removed tombstone is in a private collection at Wolykjiewicz Str, Motkinsha 48, 07-300, Ostrow Maz. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns site used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are commercial, industrial, agricultural and residential. Private Jewish and non-Jewish visitors and local residents rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access, and constantly disturbs graves and stones. The cemetery was destroyed during WWII but vandalism is a problem.
Wojciech Henrykowski, 06-200 Makow Max Str, Spokdzielcza 20 visited site and completed survey 8/27/1991. Documentation: the collection of Pouistwowo Stuzba Ochrony Zabytkow w Ostroique.
OSTROW MAZOWIECKA II: US Commission No. POCE00045
The Orthodox, Conservative and Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery is located on Str. Targowa, Str. Broniewskiego was established in the 17th Century [sic: contrdicts the 18th century date of earliest known Jewish community]. The last known Jewish burial was beginning of the 20th century. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds it. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of the cemetery before W.W.II was and still is 2.0 hectares. No gravestones are visible with no known mass graves. The municipality owns site used for industrial or commercial purposes. Properties adjacent are commercial, industrial, agricultural and residential. Private Jewish and non-Jewish visitors and local residents rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during W.W.II. No maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are shops. Threats: very serious-pollution and vandalism. Serious threat: incompatible development.
Wojciech Henrykowski, 06-200 Makow Max St. Spokdzielcza 20 completed survey on August 27, 1991. Documentation: collection of Pouistwowo Stuzba Ochrony Zabytkow w Ostroique. The site was not visited.
|Last Updated on Monday, 22 March 2010 10:22|