You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland OSNO LUBUSKIE: Lubusz
OSNO LUBUSKIE: Lubusz PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Ośno Lubuskie Alternate names: Ośno Lubuskie, Drossen, Drossen Stadt, Ośno. 52°27' N 14°52' E, 259.0 miles W of Warszaw, 25 km (16 mi) NE of Słubice, 40 km (25 mi) SW of Gorzów Wielkopolski, and 72 km (45 mi) NW of Zielona Góra.. This town  with 3,800 inhabitants in 2008 is seat of Gmina Ośno Lubuskie, which is an urban-rural administrative district in Słubice powiat, Lubusz Voivodeship in western Poland with a 2006 total population iof 6,304. Normal 0 The first documentation of Jews from Ośna Lubuskiego (Drossen) was in 1430, but a permanent Jewish settlement dated from at least 1731 when a cemetery and synagogue existed. In 1933, 28 Jews lived there. During the Kristallnacht in 1938, five Jews were arrested. The fate of the remainder is unknown. Today, a converted synagogue on ulic Strażniczej and the cemetery on the northeastern side of Lake Reczynek remain. According to the website of the City of Ośna, the cemetery was established in 1850, contrary to information supplied to the project. One gravestone and a destroyed wall remain. [June 2009]

Cemetery photos [May 2006]

US Commission No. POCE0000341

Alternate name: Drossen in German. Osno Lubuskie is in Gorzon region at 52º28 N and 14º52E, 14 km from Sulecin. The cemetery is located in the N of town in the forest near Lake Reczynek. Present town population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta i Gminy w Osme, mgr. Wradyslaw Chrostowski, region Konserwator Zabytkow, 65-413,Gorzon Wlkp w. Jagielloziczyla 8, tel. 75-295. Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow, mgr. Twono Brzewrecka, adres j.w.

1921 Jewish population was 28. The Progressive-Reform cemetery was established at the beginning of the 18th century. The isolated suburban crown of a hill has a broken masonry wall with no gate. Open access is off a public road. Before WWI and now, the size is.20 hectare. 1 to 20 gravestones, not in original locations with less than 25 toppled or broken, date from 1841-19th century. The granite and sandstone smooth and inscribed, flat with carved relief decorations, sculpted monuments, or double headstones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The municipality owns unused property. Forest is adjacent to the cemetery. Occasionally, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. No structures. Vegetation disturbs the graves; and vandalism is a constant problem. Weather erosion and security are moderate threats.

Henryk Grecki, tel. 377-41 70-534 Szozecin w Soktysia 3/13 completed survey Aug. 14, 1991. The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Monday, 22 June 2009 17:18
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution