OSJAKOW: Łódź Print

Coat of arms of Gmina Osjaków

Alternate names: Osjaków [Pol], Os'yakuv, Осьякув [Rus], Shakev, אושיאקוב [Yid], Oshiokov, Osjakov, Osiaków, Osyakow, Shekev, Ushiokov. 51°17' N, 18°48' E. 1900 Jewish population: 552. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). The Jews of Osjaków were subordinate to the Działoszyn kahal. A dispute arose resulting in the second half of the 18th century, Osjaków became its own community with its own rabbi. Gmina Osjaków is a rural administrative district in Wieluń County, Łódź Voivodeship,in central Poland with its seat in the village of Osjaków, 17 km (11 mi) NE of Wieluń and 73 km (45 mi) SE of the regional capital Łódź. The gmina 2006 total population was 4,780. Gmina Osjaków contains the villages and settlements of Borki Walkowskie, Chorzyna, Czernice, Dębina, Dolina Czernicka, Drobnice, Felinów, Gabrielów, Jasień, Józefina, Kolonia Raducka, Krzętle, Kuźnica Ługowska, Kuźnica Strobińska, Nowa Wieś, Osjaków, Raducki Folwark, Raduczyce, Walków and Zofia. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000688

Osjakow is located in the Sierdz region, 51º18N 18º48E, 15 km from Wielun. Present population is 1,000-5000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, 98-320 Osjakow, tel. 14-28.
  • Regional: Wojengozki Konserwator Zabytkow, ul. Kojcinski 3; 98-200 Sieradz, tel. 849-3815; Urzad Wojewodzki w Sieradzy, Plac Wojewodzki 3; 98-200 Sieradz; tel.849-71666.
  • Interested: Fydowski Instutut Historycznyw Polsc; ul. Tlowiecki 315, 00-090 Warszawa; tel. 27-92-21.

The earliest known Jewish community was 18th or 19th century. 1921 Jewish population was 759 (49.2%). The unlandmarked Orthodox and Conservative Jewish cemetery for town and nearby communities was established in the 18th century with last known Jewish burial in 1942. The isolated, suburban, flat land has no sign or marker, wall or gate. Located on a public road, access is open to all. The size was and is 1.5 ha. 1 to 20 limestone and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed in Hebrew or flat with carved relief decoration, with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1915 [?]. The municipality owns property used as a Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent property is agricultural/commercial. Occasionally, organized Jewish groups and individual tours, private visitors, and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance, no structures. Pollution and vegetation overgrowth are moderate threats.

Adam Penkalla; deceased, visited site and completed survey November 1992.

Last Updated on Monday, 22 June 2009 17:01