OSIEK: Świętokrzyskie Print

Coat of arms of Osiek Alternate names: Osiek [Pol], Oshiyek, Osyek, Oshek. אוסיאק Осек [Rus], [Yid]. 50°31' N, 21°27' E, 17 miles SW of Sandomierz (Zuzmir), 13 miles E of Staszów (Stashev). 1900 Jewish population: 590. yizkor: Sefer Staszow, (Tel Aviv, 1962). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, pp. 626-628: "Osiek" #11. This a town in Osiak Gmina, Staszów powiat, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship had 2,084 inhabitants in 2007. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000237

Osiek is located in Tarnobrzeg, 50º31 21º26, 25km from Tarnobrzeg. The cemetery is located by road from Osiek to Polaniec, about 1km. from Osiek market square. Present population is 1,000-5,000, with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy Osiek, ul. Polaniecka, tel. 3, 39.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, (Mgr. Dominik Komada), ul. Pilsudskiego 40, tel. 22-81-61 and Dyrektor Wydzialu Spraw Spotecznych, Urzedu Wojewodzkiego, (Edward Kuracinski), ul. Kosciuszki 32, tel. 22-19-99.

1931 Jewish population (census) was 539. The unlandmarked Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established in first half 19th century. The isolated agricultural flat land has no sign or marker, no wall or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 1.50 hectares, though the boundaries are not visible. Vegetation poses a seasonal problem preventing access. No gravestones are visible and no known mass graves. The cemetery was destroyed during WWII. The municipality leased out the site as communal property; now a private individual owns the property. The cemetery itself does not exist. The site has been partly ploughed over for agriculture, partly overgrown with acacias. If any graves do still exist underground, deep ploughing would harm them.

Marek Florek, ul. Chopina 12/2, 37-420 Rudnik n/Ganem, ph: 26 completed survey on 15 Nov 1991. Documentation: Karta ewidencji cmentarza. He visited on 04/11/1991.

Last Updated on Monday, 22 June 2009 15:53