Alternate names: Olsztyn [Pol], Allenstein [Ger], Olštynas [Lith], Allenshteyn, Alnāsteini, Alnaštynas, Barczewo, Ольштын. [Rus], אולשטין [Yid]. 53°47' N, 20°29' E, historical capital of Warmia, in East Prussia, 83 miles ESE of Gdańsk (Danzig), 78 miles WNW of Łomża. Jewish population: 471 (in 1905). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, pp. 514-516: "Olsztyn". This a city in NE Poland on the Łyna River was the capital of the Warmia region, but Olsztyn has been the capital of the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship since 1999 and was previously in Olsztyn Voivodeship (1945-75). For many years Warmia banned settle Jews that only during the Napoleonic wars. In 1870, 56 Jews lived here. The first synagogue established in 1835 year was replaced in 1877 and a nursing home built. In 1895 years, the 588 Jews accounted for 2.7% of the population. Erich Mendelsohn, one of the most eminent expressionist architects of the twentieth century, was born here. After 1938, harassment of Jews commenced. Olsztyń Jews died during occupation under unknown circumstances. The oldest synagogue in Olsztyn was dismantled in 1992. One built in the early 20th century is now a sports hall. Jewish facilities. [June 2009]
CEMETERY: On ul. Grunwaldzka, the 0.5 hectare cemetery was established in 1818. Devastated during WWII, in the 1960s the conservator of historic buildings transformed it into a park. Part matzevot were used to construct the wall of the old terrace of the Casablanca Street casino, castle and to shore up the slope in the Old City. The tahara designed by Erich Mendelsohn survives as a funeral home today in poor condition. In January 2005, the cemetery tahara was taken over by the Association Borussia. A fence of the cemetery land and renovation of tahara is planned as a meeting center with a library for young people and a memorial to Olsztyn Jews. [June 2009]
US Commission No AS 169:
Alternate names: Allenstein in German; Barczewo. Olsztyn in the region Olsztynskie. The cemetery's location is ul. Zyndrama. Present town population is over 100,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1819. 1933 Jewish population was 448. Eryk Mendelsohn, architect, lived here. The Orthodox and Progressive/Reform cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century with last known Jewish burial, 1941. Landmarked: registered monument of Olsztyn. The isolated suburban slightly falling flat land has no signs or markers. Reach by turning directly off a public road, accessis open to all with no walls, fences or gates. Approximate size of cemetery before World War II and now is 0,48ha. [SIC: The form indicates that 500-5000 gravestones in the original locations, none in the original locations and none visible-contradiction]. Municipality owns property used for recreation. Properties adjacent are residential. Occasionally, local residents and private visitors visit; occasionally, authorities clear vegetation.
Wiktor Knercer, Olsztyn, 10 -685, ul. Bariza 33 m 16, tel. 33-86-07 completed survey in September 1991. Documentation: Freiderichs Deutsches Studtebuch... Stuttgart, 1939; Statistisches Handbuch fur die Provinz OApreuzen ... 1938
US Commission No AS 170:
Alternate name: Hohenstein in German. Olsztynekz is located in region Olsztynskie, 53º35N 20º12E, 28 km from Olsztyn. The cemetery is located along the road to Jemiolowa. Present town population is 5000-25000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community existed in 1831 with 8 people and in 1930 with 50. The Jewish cemetery was established first half of the 19th century and was used by Orthodox and Progressive-Reform until the late 1930's. The cemetery, 0.10 hectare, is located on isolated suburban flat land with no sign. Access off a public road is open to all. There is no wall, gate, or structures. No stones are visible. The municipality owns property used as a park. Properties adjacent are residential. Rarely, residents visit. Cccasionally, municipal or local authority clear vegetation. Only slight threat of incompatible development.
Wiktor Knercer 10-685 Olsztyn, ul. Barna 33m16, tel.33-86-0, visited site 8/1991 and completed survey October 1991. Documentation: Frederichs Deutsches Stadtbuch... , Stuttgart, 1939.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 June 2009 02:05|