Olecko, Marggrabowa, Margrabowa, Oletzko, Treuburg. 54°02' N 22°30' E, 137.4 miles NNE of Warszawa. Olecko powiat is a unit of territorial administration and local government in Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, N Poland with its administrative seat and only town is Olecko, 135 km(84 mi) E of the regional capital Olsztyn. The town is at the mouth of the Lega river into the Great Olecko Lake (Jezioro Oleckie Wielkie) on its south-western shore. [June 2009]
US Commission No. AS 167
Alternate name: Oletzko, Treuburg, and Margrabowa. Olecko in the region Suwalskie at 54º02'N, 22º30' E, 35 km from Suwalki. The location of the cemetery is ul. Armii Krajowej (miejsce po cmetarzu-former cemetery site), The present poulation is 5000-25,000 with no Jews.
Earliest Jewish community was 1834 synagogue. 1937 Population was 57. The last known Orthodox burial was in the first half of the 19th century. The isolated urban flat land has no signs or markers. The cemetery no longer exists. The approximate size of the cemetery before World War II was 0.1ha. No stones are visible.
dr. Janusz Mackiewicz, 16-400 Suwalki, ul. 1 Maja 27a/47, tel. sl.663741, tel. d. 663756 completed survey on September 26, 1994.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 21 June 2009 01:41|