Alternate names: Odolanów [Pol], Adelnau [Ger], Odalanów. 51°34' N, 17°42' E, 21 miles SW of Kalisz, 8 miles SW of Ostrów Wielkopolski. Jewish population: 203 (in 1883). This town in the Greater Poland Voivodeship, 10 km SW ofOstrów Wielkopolski with over 5000 inhabitants. Apart from the town of Odolanów, Gmina Odolanów contains the villages and settlements of Baby, Biadaszki, Boników, Garki, Gliśnica, Gorzyce Małe, Grochowiska, Huta, Kaczory, Kuroch, Lipiny, Nabyszyce, Nadstawki, Papiernia, Raczyce, Świeca, Tarchały Małe, Tarchały Wielkie, Trzcieliny, Uciechów, Wierzbno and Wisławka. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000481
Alternate name: Adelnau in German. It is located in the region Kaliskie at 51º34, is 17º42', 75 km NNE of Wrockaw. The cemetery location is off a dirt road, NW ward of the crossing of Przemysiewa and Kootoszyriska St. Present population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.
The earliest Jewish community dates back to before 1771; 1921 population was 27. The Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established about 19th century. The isolated rural wooded flat has no sign or marker. Access is turning directly off a public road. The cemetery is open to all with no walls, fences or gates. The size of the cemetery is approximately 0.5ha. No stones are visible. Municipality owns site, primarily a forest. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, for construction of the nearby Hitler Jugend camp barracks. Vegetation is a serious threat.
Michal Witwickie, Dernboeosluiego 12/53, tel. 6418345 02-784 Warszawa completed survey. Elenora Bergman and Michal Witwickie visited the site October 18, 1992. Local residents were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 21 June 2009 01:31|