Alternate names: Oborniki [Pol], Obornik [Ger]. 52°39' N, 16°49' E, 17 miles NNW of Poznań (Posen). Jewish population: 395 (in 1878), 60 (in 1939). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, pp. 336-341: "Oborniki". This town in west-central Poland, Greater Poland Voivodeship about 30 km N of Poznań is the capital of Oborniki powiat and of Gmina Oborniki, a unit of territorial administration and local government, with a 2005 population of 18,176.
US Commission No. POCE000456
Alternate name: Obornik in German. The cemetery is located in the village of Czarkowsba in the Woj Poznaniskie at 52º39' 16º49', 30 km from Poznania. Present population is 5000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was fifteenth century. 1921 Jewish population was 137 (3.3%). The Conservative Jewish Cemetery, 1 km from community, was established in the fifteenth century. The isolated suburban flat land has no signs or markers. Reached turning directly off a public road, access open to all with no walls, fences or gates. Municipality owns property. Property adjacent are a swimming pool and the forest. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Within the limits of the cemetery is a swimming pool building.
Pniewski , Poznan completed survey in August 1991. Documentation: Heppner, A., and Herzberg, J., Aus Vergangenheit und Gegen. Die Juden und die judischen gemeinden in den Posener Landen, 1905-79, with photos. He visited in 1990 and interviewed local inhabitants.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 21 June 2009 01:08|